New Discussion

Re: HP 1910-8G JG537A Stuck on Bootware Validating

SOLVED
Go to solution
JohnW1
Occasional Advisor

HP 1910-8G JG537A Stuck on Bootware Validating

Hi

I have an Office Connect HP1910-8G-POE that will not budge past Bootware Validating. Does anyone have any idea how I can resolve this ?

Thanks

5 REPLIES 5
Ivan_B
HPE Pro

Hi @JohnW1 !

If it stucks exactly on "BootWare Validating..." and doesn't proceed further, I am afraid you need to replace the device.

I am an HPE employee

Accept or Kudo

JohnW1
Occasional Advisor

Really...surely that can't be the case ? Why does the CTRL D menu provide the option to upgrade the Bootware then ?

Ivan_B
HPE Pro

Sorry, but you didn't mention you can enter the bootware menu. I interpret the word "stuck" differently (-: 

Since Ctrl+D works, it means the basic bootrom works fine, but extended got corrupted. You can use basic bootware menu option "Update Extended BootWare" and try to recover the bootrom using the Comware image (.bin file) on the flash. Please, ensure that the file you have uploaded is for this particular model. You can download the lates image from here - https://h10145.www1.hpe.com/downloads/DownloadSoftware.aspx?SoftwareReleaseUId=26010&ProductNumber=JG537A . If any doubt about the file on the flash,  delete it, re-upload the file and try the bootware update again. As last resort option, try "Full bootware upgrade".

If that won't help, just contact Support. Before replacement they should try to recover the switch, maybe they can offer some other way to recover the device, but to be honest before answering your question I've checked similar cases and all of them were resolved by hardware replacement.

I am an HPE employee

Accept or Kudo

JohnW1
Occasional Advisor

So I tried that a few times. Each time it came back and asked if I wanted to upgrade the extended and backup extended image which I did. Eventually it got past the CTRL-D part onto the CTRL B part but then kept complaining that the file was invalid. I followed some other posts on this forum that said to update the application file which I did via TFTP. The switch boots when I do this but sadly the image is only in RAM so if I poower off and back on I am back into the same situation. I tried giving it an IP address and browsing to it but it keeps saying login failed. username admin, no password and captcha should be all that is required. I tried initializing the box to remove the config but then it says invalid device which I assume means it can't find any files on the flash. I believe I should be able to tftp the relevant files to the flash and make it MASTER but when I try this is says file invalid ?? Really it shouldn't be this hard. I have restored devices from other vendors and have never had these issues.

JohnW1
Occasional Advisor
Solution

I fixed it by follwing this thread in two different places

https://community.hpe.com/t5/Web-and-Unmanaged/HP-V1910-24G-Switch-Application-program-does-not-exist/td-p/6441786 

Firstly in the CTRL D section I updated the bootrom and that then got me through to the CTRL B section where I updated the primary and backup Application.