Switches, Hubs, and Modems
1752770 Members
4929 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

HP 2524 Procurve VLAN 2 VLAN Bridge

Glen_17

HP 2524 Procurve VLAN 2 VLAN Bridge

I have two LANS; 126.20.0.0 and 126.30.0.0. Currently I am using RRAS on two servers to make the bridge. I would like to, instead, bridge the two lans with the 2524s that are on each lan. Can you give me a complete overview of this? It is a little different that using switches that support multiple gateways..

--------------------------2524----------------
|
|
| <-- Bridge 126.30.0.0 |
--------------------------2524----------------

Thanks! Glen
5 REPLIES 5
Jerome Henry
Honored Contributor

Re: HP 2524 Procurve VLAN 2 VLAN Bridge

Hi Glen,

I don't get clearly what you try to do : do you want to make a whole subnet with you 2 networks, meaning that one switch will be linking 2 networks and forwarding packets, for witch no special configuration is required (just plug one port of one swicth to one port of the other swicth, using crossover cable), or if you want to isolate each subnet, routing only some packets (which ones) ?

J
You can lean only on what resists you...
Ron Kinner
Honored Contributor

You can't get there from here at least not with 2524s which are not layer three aware. Even if you crossconnect the two switches using untagged ports and let the packets mingle it won't work assuming you have a mask of 255.255.0.0 on your hosts.

You would have to change the IP mask on all hosts on both networks to 255.0.0.0 so that they would all be in the same subnet or move one set of hosts to the other subnet.

Ron
Glen_17

Thanks Ron....

The graphic above became garbled at posting.

---2524----------------
|
|
| <-- Bridge (HOW?)
---2524----------------

HP sweares that this can be done. But I have not been able to do this.

Thanks again, Glen
Ron Kinner
Honored Contributor

I suppose it's possible that the last software upgrade to the switch gave it some IP routing capabilities. I am unable to download the release notes. It just hangs when I try.

Assuming it actually works and IP routing is or can be enabled on A, you would define a VLAN2 on switch A and assign it an IP address in the subnet of the other switch say 126.30.1.2 with a mask of 255.255.0.0. On the same switch assign one port to VLAN2 untagged.

On switch B choose a VLAN1 untagged port.

Then connect the two ports with a crossover cable or straight cable. Shouldn't matter what you use since they are MDIX autosensing. Anyway get a link light.

On each host on A set the gateway to (or add a route to the other subnet via) that of the IP address assigned to VLAN1 on A.
On B the hosts use the VLAN2 address on A as the gateway or add a route to the other subnet via it.

Because A is aware of IP routing it will not need an IP route to connect two subnets directly on it. Since B has nothing to do with the routing it need not have have IP routing enabled unless you want to manage it from A. You may need to add a default gateway of 126.30.1.2 on B so you can manage it from A.

Ron

PS The Specs for the 2524 do not mention IP routing so I doubt that they can do it.
http://www.hp.com/rnd/pdfs/switch2524_2512_datasheet.pdf

I am also assuming that you want hosts on A to talk to B and vice versa. If the purpose is just to allow hosts on A and B to access the internet there may be alternatives.

Glen_17

Ron, thanks again.

The purpose for this is to connect two domains for management reasons and consolidation of services.

Glen