New Discussion юеВ

Re: HP 2524 and new cisco router

SOLVED
Go to solution
JonK
Occasional Advisor

HP 2524 and new cisco router

Hi all

Hope you can help. We have a new cisco router which is not managed by myself. We have been happily using an older cisco router. We are using two vlans, 1 blue and 1 red.

The cisco router has two ports one for a curriclum network and the other is admin network. Blue is curric and red is admin.

All is working well except clients using the red vlan.

The layout is. cisco router into admin switch. A client on the curriculum switch is using RED vlan which plugs into a port into the admin switch. We have an 8000m running a fibre link to a 2524. user is on the 2524 side.

The vlan setup was working perfect I only changed the IPs to suit the new router.

When I ping an outside destination it works fine on the admin and curric switches EXCEPT the client using red vlan.

It pings some times and then request times out. This is pretty random. I find it hard to believe the new router doesnt support 802.11q or maybe its not "turned on"?

My guess is the cisco router doesnt like letting the client coming from vlan and only lets the odd packet through.

In the end of the day I can call the helpdesk to see if the guys can work out a problem on the router, I just want to make sure its not a switch problem and probably is the router.

Any ideas? Thanks
Jon
2 REPLIES 2
Matt Hobbs
Honored Contributor
Solution

I didn't quite understand your layout (is there one link or two going from the ProCurve to the Cisco?) but it sounds like this may be the problem:

http://www.hp.com/rnd/support/faqs/23xx_25xx.htm#question27

Sergej Gurenko
Trusted Contributor

I think Matt is right. This is old known problem. Either do not use following HP switches (Switch 800t, 2000, 1600m, 2400m, 2424m, 2512, 2524, 4000m, 8000m.) either ensure that Cisco Router use different MAC addresses for virtual interfaces.
You can find some tips about how to search for MAC address under IOS Router here - http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/switches/ps700/products_tech_note09186a00801c9b4e.shtml