5557 Online
108797 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

HP 2610 VLAN Name limit

Behap
Occasional Contributor

HP 2610 VLAN Name limit

Hi,

We are Cisco end to end but are considering purchasing HP switches for some of our clients. We have a HP 2610 on test at the moment and wish to create the same VLANs that we have on our Cisco switches on the HP. We have one VLAN that has a name greater than 12 characters long, when we try to create this VLAN on the HP we get an error message that the allowed length for a VLAN name is 12 characters. Therefore, is there any way we can get the HP to create a VLAN with a name longer than 12 characters? There is no possibility that we can shorten the VLAN names on the Cisco switches, as these are controlled by a different department.

Any help appreciated :)
5 REPLIES 5
Mohammed Faiz
Honored Contributor

Re: HP 2610 VLAN Name limit

Hi,

There is no way around the VLAN name length limitation on the 2610 series that I know of (switches running K series code allow longer names).
However the VLAN name is not what uniquely determines identifies and VLAN, it's the VLAN ID. In other words if you're tagging VLANs between Cisco and HP the names don't need to match.
Behap
Occasional Contributor

Thanks for the info mohammed, I was not aware that the VLAN name did not need to match exactly. It is quite tricky trying to find "exact" information when trying to combine Cisco with HP, with regards to STP, VLANs etc, hence the post on here. Thanks for replying, it is appreciated. Cheers
Mohammed Faiz
Honored Contributor

No problem. You can find a few documents out there that deal with Cisco and Procurve interoperability, try this one as a start:

http://h10144.www1.hp.com/docs/security/Migrating_from_Cisco_to_ProCurve_Apr_08_AM_Eng_Ltr.pdf
Jeff Carrell
Honored Contributor

Behap said: "It is quite tricky trying to find "exact" information when trying to combine Cisco with HP, with regards to STP, VLANs etc, hence the post on here."

Get this CLI ref guide, it shows how to configure HP ProVision, HP Comware5 and Cisco switches for lots of different functions, in a side-by-side comparison, so if you know one CLI, you see how to do it in a different CLI:
http://h10144.www1.hp.com/docs/training/HP-Networking-and-Cisco-CLI-Reference-Guide_June_10_WW_Eng_ltr.pdf

hth...Jeff
Behap
Occasional Contributor

Hi,

Thanks guys for the info, I have downloaded the docs and I will take a look and see if I can get things working between vendors.

Great help :)

Cheers