1753272 Members
4863 Online
108792 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

HP 2650 VLAN setup problems... urgent

Michael Bilboe

HP 2650 VLAN setup problems... urgent

We have a 2650 unit, J4899B
Want a file server to be a member of two vlans.
Fileserver on port 1
VLAN A: PC's (10-20) + port 1
Vlan B: VOIP (21-50) + port 1.
We have allready done:
Default vlan, Port 1 tagged, 10-20 untagged, 21-50 No.
vlan2, Port 1 tagged, 10-20 No, 21-50 Untagged.

When setup, nothing pings....
PC's cant ping tagged file server (port 1)
VOIP cant ping tagged file server (port 1)
File server can not ping either vlan devices
4 REPLIES 4
Drew_38
Frequent Advisor

Re: HP 2650 VLAN setup problems... urgent

Michael can you give more information about your file server? Like what OS it's running?

Have you a server OS which can do tagged VLANs?

Best option could be to put two network cards in your file server.

Drew
Michael Bilboe

it is a windows 2003 SBS server, Intel White Box Server, i.e. Intel Pro 100/1000MT, have allready installed latest intel drivers (apparently support 802.1q) for vlan tagging.
Also have turned qos tagging on in driver settings.. still no luck.
Note we have the same subnet IP's on each vlan, i.e. we are trying to achieve this with out having to subnet and Ip route the teo vlans.. just trying to get the voip off the heave traffic vlan side A.
HP Procure support told us that it could be done this way today over the phone.. but being a call centre we could test to out of hours.. hence forums...:) Offline soon.. so may just call HP tommorrow and post my findings.
Manfred Arndt
Valued Contributor

Michael,

Your VLAN configuration looks correct. Were you able to get your file server working? If so, what did you need to do?
Ardon
Trusted Contributor

Michael,

So far I did not hear you mention the Intel Pro Utility (Intel Pro Set I think it is called) which is used to assign VLAN IDs. So the File Server and VOIP have VLAN IDs assigned and each VLAN has an IP Address?
Have a look at Intel how it looks like:
http://www.intel.com/support/network/sb/cs-017380.htm

Correction. The Intel Pro Set in only used in NT 4.0. For Windows 2000/2003/XP Intel states:

Microsoft Windows* 2000, XP*, and Server 2003:
In Device Manager, right click on the adapter or team that is to have the VLAN(s), and select properties. Select the VLAN tab and click New. Follow the wizard to create VLANs. Once all VLANs have been setup, go to Network and Dial-Up connections or My Network Places to setup addresses for each VLAN.

Hope this helps.

Regards, Ardon
ProCurve Networking Engineer