5505 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: HP 2810 switches and 802.1x using Microsoft 2008 Network Policy Server

Giovanni Trapasso_1
Frequent Advisor

HP 2810 switches and 802.1x using Microsoft 2008 Network Policy Server

Hello,

I am about to implement Microsoft 2008 Newtork Policy Server, 802.1x, using HP 2810 and HP 2524 switches. My tests look good in a test area, and starting to setup the production network, but getting an error on the HP 2810 switches. On the Windows NPS server getting this error:

Event ID 18
An Access-Request message was received from RADIUS client with a message authenticator attribute that is not valid.

The HP 2524 switches works fine, but the HP 2810 switches are the issue. Any Thoughts?

13 REPLIES 13
Jeff Carrell
Honored Contributor

do you have this config parm:
'aaa authentication port-access eap-radius' in the 2810's?

if so, plz attach a 'sh ru' config of one of hte 2810's so we can see...

hth...jeff
Jeff Carrell
Honored Contributor

sorry, i meant to word that differently, attach a 2810 config so we can look at it to assist in troubleshooting, not simply see if you have that one command in its config...

sorry about that...jeff
Giovanni Trapasso_1
Frequent Advisor

thanks for the reply. Unfortunately this issue got escalated in my environment, so I am now in contact with HP procurve support. We are making headway, so I will keep you updated.

aaa authentication port-access eap-radius
radius-server host xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx key Key
aaa port-access authenticator 41
aaa port-access authenticator 41 auth-vid 2012
aaa port-access authenticator 41 unauth-vid 2013
aaa port-access authenticator active

The switch is setup correctly, and verified by HP support, but here are the few test config lines I have on my HP2810. Yes vlan's are set. And yes I blacked out the IP address.
Ajohnson_1
Occasional Advisor

Having the same problem here... no issues with any of the Cisco switches... no problems with 2600s, but 2810s are having issues. Please post if you come up with any answers.
Giovanni Trapasso_1
Frequent Advisor

I was dealing with HP support on this issue and the person I was dealing with setup a Windows 2008 NPS server and was able to get it to work. I am still not able to get the HP 2810 to work with port-access eap-radius. chap seems to work, but not eap.

Since all my 2810 switches are in production I am trying to find another switch I can test with, without causing any issues.

I will let you know what happens. But it is good to hear that someone else is having the issue. Weird that the same configuration works with the HP 2524 and the 2510 procurve switches.
Ajohnson_1
Occasional Advisor

Have them check software version. I had found a post somewhere on the internet earlier this month where someone had updated software to N.11.15, which is the version i have, and it broke 802.1x authentication. I can't seem to find it now or i'd post a link.
Giovanni Trapasso_1
Frequent Advisor

I downgraded my switch to 11.04 and still nothing.

I know the HP 2810 did work, but then again that was with a windows 2003 IAS setup instead of with 2008 NPS.
Giovanni Trapasso_1
Frequent Advisor

are you getting the:

"An Access-Request message was received from RADIUS client (IP address> with a message authenticator attribute that is not valid." message in the system event log on your NPS server?
Ajohnson_1
Occasional Advisor

I couldn't tell you. We've got school starting in a week and this still isn't working right, so i've had to pull back the NAP deployment. I'm pretty disappointed. Ran into 3 problems trying to deploy in the production environment.

1 the 2810 switch issue you're having
2 about 1-5% of the time the security center service doesn't start before the authentication takes place putting the computer into remediation for no real reason
3 less often than the security center issue is the network access protection agent doesn't start on time, gets sent to non-nap capable vlan.

We can't have any of those issues, let alone all of them, so we're done for now. Might try again during Christmas break or next summer.