1753305 Members
6230 Online
108792 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: HP 2848 noise

OLARU Dan
Trusted Contributor

HP 2848 noise

When powering up my ProCurve 2848 there is an unusual, acceleration-like noise, for 1-2 seconds, made by the fan. Has anyone experienced this in 2800 series? Is this normal? None of the HP switches I use does this.

Also this switch randomly hangs-up at startup: yesterday in 2 hours I had 3 hangups. After unplug/plug from the power supply, there are 2 ports (26 and 29) that consistently fail the startup test; sometimes 5 ports fail, sometimes 3, sometimes 7 - but the 2 ports are allways among those failing the test.

Any suggestions?
6 REPLIES 6
SCOOTER
Esteemed Contributor

Hi,

The 2848 has a variable speed fan, if it gets hotter the fan spins faster. The acceleration at boot is normal.

For the problem regarding the failing ports, if you have the latest firmware running on the switch (I.07.61). Do a factory reset and if that does not solve the problem I would contact HP and get the switch exchanged.

Regards,

SCOOTER
OLARU Dan
Trusted Contributor

Thank you, SCOOTER

I installed I.07.61 first thing. I received it with I.07.31, which is still in flash as secondary image. Boot ROM is I.08.02.

I learned from the Release notes of .61 that .56 did some "Boot ROM update": should I install .56 and only then .61, instead of jumping directly from .31 to .61?

I'll save the config, do the Reset+Clear stuff and I'll get back here.
Eirram_1
Frequent Advisor

Hello OLARU-Dan,

You should be able to update straight from .31 to .61. The resulting boot ROM should then say 08.04.

Greetz
OLARU Dan
Trusted Contributor

Eirram,
after installing I.07.61 firmware I have I.08.02 boot ROM version. You say you have I.08.04? How do I upgrade the boot ROM?
OLARU Dan
Trusted Contributor

I've got it!
The sequence of events that leads to ports 26 and 29 failing the powr-up test is this:

1. Reload is requested (from CLI or menu, telnet or console) => all front panel lights are on
2. You have electrical power problems during this specific time (when all lights re on) - I unplugged the switch for my tests
3. power comes back
4. ports 26 and 29 are faulty, blinking in phase with the Fault LED.

I repeated this 5 times and the outcome was the same.

Yesterday we did have short electrical power fluctuations - so this explains the strange bahaviour of the switch.

OLARU Dan
Trusted Contributor

Thank you, guys.