108811 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

HP 2900 mac-address table

SOLVED
Go to solution
Justin_99
Valued Contributor

HP 2900 mac-address table

Wondering if there is a quick way to get a list of the mac-addresses on a Hp 2900 switch and what port they are associated with?

I am trying to speed up my imaging process and would like to be able to just dump all the mac's from a switch in a rack and then I can configure my dhcp and pxe boot the systems to kickstart.
The blade racks we have use 3 HP2900 switches and have 72 nodes per rack. I know what system is in which port, just need an easy way to get the mac info from the switch since the systems have will not have an OS at the time.
4 REPLIES 4
Marco Wessel
Valued Contributor
Solution

Re: HP 2900 mac-address table

On the CLI you can just

sh mac

and you'll get the full list for every port on the switch. The machines must have sent at least one frame within the mac age time to appear in that list, however. You can limit the list by VLAN ('sh mac vlan X') or by port or port range ('sh mac 1-10').

Justin_99
Valued Contributor

Thanks I will give it a shot.
Pieter 't Hart
Honored Contributor

From the blade management system you should also be able to retrieve the mac-adresses?
also when the systems are technically powerd-off.

But then again you should manually match this with the administration you got of the connected switch ports.
but for dhcp and pxe this is not that important.
Justin_99
Valued Contributor

These particular racks don't have any blade management center for me to get the macs. The macs are all written on the front of the nodes, but I am not about to go and write in 1440 mac addresses by hand into my DHCP file. We currently have a way to image these, just looking for something a little more efficient from the start. Getting the macs from the switch should be sufficient.