Switches, Hubs, and Modems
1753861 Members
7517 Online
108809 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

HP 4108/4104 Port Trunking - only 1 port active?

SOLVED
Go to solution
M B Hartley

HP 4108/4104 Port Trunking - only 1 port active?

Hi there,

Got a 4 switch chain with various trunks configured:

Switch A
Trunk1
| |
| |
Trunk1
Switch B
Trunk2
| |
| |
Trunk2
Switch C
Trunk3
| |
| |
Trunk3
Switch D

The trunk from Switch A to Switch B works perfectly with both ports showing as active and with traffic going through them. The other trunks are only showing 1 port active each although STP shows the trunk is forwarding.

I have compared configurations through the telnet menu interface and all looks correct but I cannot get the other ports to light up on the remaining 2 trunks!

Any ideas please (btw I'm a bit of a newbie with these so go easy on me :D)
6 REPLIES 6
Matt Hobbs
Honored Contributor
Solution

Re: HP 4108/4104 Port Trunking - only 1 port active?

By ports lighting up do you mean the activity light? I assume you are getting a link, just not seeing any activity on the other trunk link.

How many clients are you testing with? The reason that I ask is because the way the trunking load balancing works is by mac-address pairs.

If you have only 1 client on switch A and 1 client on switch D, only 1 link in each trunk will be utilised.

As soon as you introduce more clients which means more Souce Address / Destination Address pairs, you should see the other links start being used.
M B Hartley

Hi Matt,

Sorry - by lighting up I am referring to a connection light. If I look in the Port Status section of the switch it shows one port as Up and the other as Down.

Hadn't realised about the clients issue. I will go and check this now and see - thanks for that. I'll let you know how I get on.

Matt Hobbs
Honored Contributor

If you're not getting a link at all that's bad.... double check your cabling is the first thing I would do.
Mohieddin Kharnoub
Honored Contributor

Hi

The command: show lacp , will be helpfull for you, it will show you Port assignment for each trunk, and Port Activity.

And for your information:
-------------------------
If a trunk group with ports in different port groups is created before IP routing is enabled, then using the ip routing command to enable IP routing generates an error message indicating the trunk group that violates the above rule.
You can remedy this problem by reducing the trunk to only the ports that are in the same port group.

Group 1: 1 - 5, 7 - 11, 16
Group 2: 6, 12 - 15, 17 - 22

Don;t forget to assign points for the posts.

Good Luck
Science for Everyone
M B Hartley

Hi Folks....

I'm blushing bright red here!

One of the trunks the fibres were reversed, the other trunk the fibre wasn't seated properly!

:blush:

Thanks for all the help - very much appreciated
M B Hartley

As per the above post... incorrect fibre seating etc :blush: