Switches, Hubs, and Modems
1753661 Members
5916 Online
108798 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: HP 4108 switch

Levi_3

HP 4108 switch

I would really need to know how to etablish bridge between two switch hp 4108...

If anyone can help out, it would be really appreciate.

Thank in advance
3 REPLIES 3
Levi_3

Oh by the way, both switch are linked together with optic fiber and 1000FD modules, i can't find the bridging command =(
Frederic Zeller
Honored Contributor

Hi

I don't know about those switches, but the normal behaviour of *all* switches I know is : bridging is enables everywhere.

Nothing special to do .

Remember : a Switch is "also" a multiple port bridge

HTH

Fred
Why should I bother ? The problem will be gone with the next release ...
Markku Leinio
Valued Contributor

Let's "reopen" this case, the silence does not look good:-)

As Frederic told, switches are already bridging all the traffic they receive. The concept of VLANs is used to limit this behaviour.

Probably Levi meant something like "how to establish a trunk connection between the switches" (just guessing).

Example: You have three VLANs in your switches: VLANs 3, 4 and 5. Both switches have several untagged ports in each VLAN. The connection between the switches can be established f.ex. like this:

vlan 3
tagged a1 (a1 is the port interconnecting the switches)
untagged b1-b8 (having the workstations)
vlan 4
tagged a1
untagged b9-b16
vlan 5
tagged a1
untagged b17-b24

When this configuration is applied to both switches, you can connect both A1s together, and then connect your VLAN 3, 4 and 5 workstations to the appropriate ports. All the three VLANs are able to traverse the A1 port and the fiber to the other switch.

The bottom line: to transfer several VLANs in one cable you have to "tag" the VLANs in the interconnecting port (one VLAN can still be untagged if desired; make consistent configurations in both ends).