Email Subscription Notifications Suspended Temporarily
We are in the process of making navigation in the Servers and Operating Systems forums simpler and more direct. While doing this, we have to temporarily suspend email notifications for subscriptions. If you are subscribed to one or more discussion boards or blogs in the community, please check them daily to see new content. Notifications will be turned back on in a few days. We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause. Thanks, Warren_Admin
Switches, Hubs, and Modems
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HP 4108 switch

Levi_3
Occasional Visitor

HP 4108 switch

I would really need to know how to etablish bridge between two switch hp 4108...

If anyone can help out, it would be really appreciate.

Thank in advance
3 REPLIES
Levi_3
Occasional Visitor

Re: HP 4108 switch

Oh by the way, both switch are linked together with optic fiber and 1000FD modules, i can't find the bridging command =(
Frederic Zeller
Honored Contributor

Hi

I don't know about those switches, but the normal behaviour of *all* switches I know is : bridging is enables everywhere.

Nothing special to do .

Remember : a Switch is "also" a multiple port bridge

HTH

Fred
Why should I bother ? The problem will be gone with the next release ...
Markku Leinio
Valued Contributor

Let's "reopen" this case, the silence does not look good:-)

As Frederic told, switches are already bridging all the traffic they receive. The concept of VLANs is used to limit this behaviour.

Probably Levi meant something like "how to establish a trunk connection between the switches" (just guessing).

Example: You have three VLANs in your switches: VLANs 3, 4 and 5. Both switches have several untagged ports in each VLAN. The connection between the switches can be established f.ex. like this:

vlan 3
tagged a1 (a1 is the port interconnecting the switches)
untagged b1-b8 (having the workstations)
vlan 4
tagged a1
untagged b9-b16
vlan 5
tagged a1
untagged b17-b24

When this configuration is applied to both switches, you can connect both A1s together, and then connect your VLAN 3, 4 and 5 workstations to the appropriate ports. All the three VLANs are able to traverse the A1 port and the fiber to the other switch.

The bottom line: to transfer several VLANs in one cable you have to "tag" the VLANs in the interconnecting port (one VLAN can still be untagged if desired; make consistent configurations in both ends).