1752467 Members
6097 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: HP 4108GL host mac address not found

Chris Bullock_1
Frequent Advisor

HP 4108GL host mac address not found

Strange problem we found today, a remote site could not connect to one of our printers. getting all kinds of packet loss, doing a traceroute stops at the procurve switch. Internal pings and traces work fine. We do internal routing via a linux router and did not see any loss whatsoever, but when going to that particular hosts from the remote network there is major packet loss. The odd thing is that when I tried to show the mac-address of the hosts it says it does not exist on that switch. I can see the arp entry on my workstation and also in the arp table of the switch in my building, but no luck on the switch that the hosts is plugged into.
Regards,
Chris
3 REPLIES 3
Lei.Ma
Frequent Advisor

you can do some diagnostics from 4108GL:
"tracerout remote_ip_address
or ping remote_ip_address
then check the show arp ?"
maybe the problem occured in linux router, in my opinion , because that the internal connection is well.
anyway, i recommend upgrade 4108GL firmware,and "clear arp" , try it again.

ray ma
Chris Bullock_1
Frequent Advisor

The address in question is directly connected to the 4108GL, and is on the same VLAN/subnet as the switch. I get no reply from the 4108GL but I can get replies from other switches and workstations on the local lan the problem is when non-local (on the other side of the 4108GL) LANS try to access this device the 4108GL acting as a router and a switch sends a response back saying that the device is down.
Lei.Ma
Frequent Advisor

is there possible routing issue ?
4108 ip routing ? or other side vlan's pc user vlan_ip_address as gateway ?

if the pc did use vlan_ip_address as gateway, i think pc cann't ping switch, when pc and switch belong to different vlan.