Switches, Hubs, and Modems
1752762 Members
4998 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

HP 5308xl static/metric question

Quentin Lynn

HP 5308xl static/metric question

We currently have a ISDN connection with a static route pointing to the outbound connection. A new T-1 connection has just been installed and would like to use this connection as our primary. Instead of just modifying our static route to point to the new connection, I would like to use the ISDN as a fall back connection. My question is, do I just insert a new static route adjusting the metric? If this is the case, what is the syntax of adjusting the metric?
Please let me know if it's possible or possibly suggest a better solution.

Thanks!
Quentin
3 REPLIES 3
Olaf Borowski
Respected Contributor

Re: HP 5308xl static/metric question

Quentin,

The WAN router having the T1 and ISDN link (if both are in one) should be the one determining which link to use. The 5300 should be pointing to the WAN router. If they are two seperate devices, that's a different story. Do the two WAN routers run any kind of routing protocol? Unfortunately, the 5300 doesn't support metrics with static routes but a routing protocol could take care of the problem.

Olaf

Or: you could use one of ProCurve's new WAN routers with T1 and ISDN dial backup.
Quentin Lynn

They are 2 separate devices.
Olaf Borowski
Respected Contributor

Quentin,
do you manage the remote connections? In other words can you reconfigure them? What kind of routers are they? Based on that, I could make some recommendation.

The static route with different metric would have problems anyway. Only if the whole router goes down and you loose the link to that router the route would fail over. If the T1 would go down, this wouldn't work because the 5300 would still be able to reach the T1 router on the Ethernet interface and the static route with a higher metric would not take over.

Olaf