New Discussion юеВ

Re: HP Blade GbE2c & Cisco Catalyst 6500

SOLVED
Go to solution
ALCS
Regular Advisor

HP Blade GbE2c & Cisco Catalyst 6500

Hi,

We are facing a problem to make a VLAN (with trunking) created within a GbE2c switch to be seen from a Cisco Switch.

We have been following the white paper
"Deploying the HP GbE2c Ethernet Blade Switch for HP c-Class BladeSystem into a Cisco-based Network":
h71028.www7.hp.com/ERC/downloads/4AA1-0779ENW.pdf

Appreciate feedbacks

ALCS
Keep it simple
13 REPLIES 13
DaGuru
Trusted Contributor

Hi ALCS,

Can you please provide some more info on the problem(s) you are having as this isn't much to go by?

For ex. what commands have you run on both the Cisco and GbE2c switch.

What are you seeing or not seeing when you've made your settings?

Also, what are you trying to accomplish? A Visio and short description may be helpfull.

Thanks,
Dennis
---------------------------------------------
I work for HP, but my posts and replies are my own.
ALCS
Regular Advisor

Thank for your feedback
1-We are following the attached Straight-Through Scenario. (Topology 3)

2-VLANs were created manually since ├в vtp├в is not mentioned in Gbe2 documentations

3-VLAN1 configured on the CISCO switch.

4-The CISCO Core switch is WS-C6513 switch running IOS

Problem:

3-unable to connect (Ping) from CISCO switch to the VLANs created on the Gbe2 switch

Thank you for your reply

Keep it simple
ALCS
Regular Advisor

Hi Dennis,

We could narrow down the problem.

We noticed that if we use VLAN1 (from GbE2c) side, it works.

We also noticed that the problem is due to enabling ports tagging (which is a part of configuring the Trunk from the GbE2c side as per the white paper)
1- Can you explain why tagged ports works only for VLAN1
2- How can we make tagged ports work within other VLANs
3- How can we include tagged port (which makes the uplink trunk) in many VLANs
Because we have noticed that when port is added to VLAN it is actually removed from the other VLANs that use to belong to.

I hope to hear your feedback

Thanks
ALCS
Keep it simple
DaGuru
Trusted Contributor

It may be that VLAN tagging isn't actually working the way you're expecting it to. I suspect your Cisco's have VLAN 1 as their native VLAN, so it is possible that packets being communicated to and from the GbE2c are simply working on VLAN 1 due to how native VLANs work.

Overall, I suspect that your trouble may be with knowing which commands need to be run on IOS vs. CatOS. The example in the white paper can be somewhat confusing as a result of this.

My lab equipment is in use right now, so I'm not able to model a working configuration and I'll admit that I'm more familiar with Cisco than the GbE2c. Please bare with me. :) Can you please attach a sterilized running-config from your Cisco so I can see what you have done so far? If that is not possible, could you list the commands you have run so far? I assume you're following the white paper for the GbE2c commands? If not, please indicate which commands you've run so far.

I had a problem like this before with my 6500 and it turned out that I didn't have encapsulation set correctly (it needed to be dot1q), but since this scenario involves both 802.3ad and 802.1q, it├в s a bit more complicated.

ALCS
Regular Advisor

Thank you for your feedback

We are now able to make VLAN2 on the GBE2 connect to VLAN2 on the Cisco over a trunk
but I wonder this same trunk can also be used to connect other VLANs together.

In our case the trunk works for one Vlan since its members have the same VLAN PVID.

Appreciate your comments.

ALCS

Keep it simple
DaGuru
Trusted Contributor

Here is what I think would work for the Cisco.

interface Port-channel1
switchport
switchport trunk encapsulation dot1q
switchport trunk allowed vlan 101,102
switchport mode trunk
no ip address

Can you please attach what you have so far?
Scott_Anderson_1

Dennis, et al, do you know what the final solution to their issue was? I have a similar issue of trunking two cisco 6509 ports to an HP Blade GbE2c switch on a vlan 252. I can get both ports into a trunking status mode but the port-channel will not come active.
Scott_Anderson_1
Solution

Nevermind, I found that hp switch had created static trunks so therefore was not using LACP or PAgP. I changed the cisco side to static using 'channel-group mode on' and the port-channel FINALLY came up active.
Tikiri

Hi,

We have faced the same problem. We are trying to extend the VLANs on a Cisco Switch 2950 to the GbE2c Switches on the c7000 Blade enclosure.when we try using cisco switch instead of GbE2c we can extend the vlan but using GbE2c we cannot is there any specific configuration need to be done @ the cisco side or other side please assist