Switches, Hubs, and Modems
1752477 Members
5644 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: HP IP Console 1x1x16 - WAN Access - Help!

SOLVED
Go to solution
John Syrakis

HP IP Console 1x1x16 - WAN Access - Help!

I have installed an 1x1x16 IP Console, and I would like to access it remotely (via the Internet).

The problem is, my LAN (and the console) is using NAT. I assume I need to configure port redirection for the Console Viewer to work. Does anyone know which ports it uses (TCP/UDP)?

Thanks
6 REPLIES 6
Brian Wright_1
Frequent Advisor
Solution

I've got the same problem, and have had an open case with the Engineers at HP for awhile now. The answer to your question, though is Ports 2068, 8192, 3211, and 161. I found that in the online docs of the viewer software. Even though those ports are open for us, we still can't do it. We have a VPN server/client that might be screwing things up though. Good Luck, and stand by for a ROMPaq or Upgrade to the viewer software, based on whatever solution we are provided.
Be Patient, I'm reloading.
John Syrakis

Thanks for your reply Brian,

Despite opening all these ports, I cannot connect to the switch. The console viewer software will not detect it (using the network's public IP address). So it is not your VPN network. It seems that NAT passthrough does not work either.

I would be really interested to hear what HP has to say about this, even more so because it clearly markets it as a WAN/LAN switch, and the fact that it costs a whopping $2,000 odd.

P.S. Can anyone clarify whether any of the other ports listed are UDP (apart from 161)?
Tonie Hellgren

I have the same problem, the only thing the morons on HP can come up with is that I have to open the ports, I have opened the ports with no result.
Its fantastic how HP can ignore their custommers totally after the deal is closed.

No more HP for me.
Les Ligetfalvy
Esteemed Contributor

I don't really think it is fair to slam HP for this. It is not their job to teach you how to setup firewalls. The first thing I learned in FW1 school is how to use a sniffer. A sniffer is your friend. Sniff the network to determine what ports are used and then go from there.

If you really want help you should start your own thread since you cannot assign points in a thread that is not yours.
John Syrakis

I wouldn't say we're bashing HP because we do not know how to configure our firewall...

What we are basically saying is that HP DESCRIBES THIS PRODUCT AS WORKING OVER WAN CONNECTIONS, but in fact it seems that it doesnt!!

Apart from the fact that there are no instructions on how to set it up over WAN, you have to go through some cryptic part of the help file to find the ports it uses (according to HP).

Well, let me tell you that even opening the ports DOES NOT result in anything!

And the disgusting part is that no-one from HP is taking part in this, offering any suggestions or otherwise for an ENTERPRISE PRODUCT. Well done HP!

Well I can tell you, no more HP Servers for me, thank you!
Tonie Hellgren

The problem isnt in the firewall.
The problem is HP´s lack of interest in helping the custommers with a solution.
They dont answer e-mail, phone or snailmail questions.
Sorry I lied, they answered the e-mail attaching the pdf for the manual that i got with the switch.
They answered the phoeto but with the same result.
It didnt help me the first time not the second time either.
You suggest i should use sniffer to solve the problem, well you think i´m a rookie in this area, i´m not, I promise you.

No more HP