New Discussion юеВ

HP PROCURVE 2524 PORT SECURITY MAC ADDRESS

SOLVED
Go to solution
Terry_71
Occasional Contributor

HP PROCURVE 2524 PORT SECURITY MAC ADDRESS

Hello

I saw that on HP PROCURVE 2524 (and others :-) you can authorize inbound traffic on a given port for only one or more specified MAC addresses with the port-security command in static mode ...

Q1 : What is exactly "inbound" and "outbound" traffic for a port to which a workstation is connected, this port having internet access via another uplink port on the switch, and other devices of my LAN beeing connected to other ports of the switch ?

Q2 : ... and for example if I authorize only MAC ADDRESS XX:XX:XX:XX:XX:XX on port 6 of my HP PROCURVE 2524, and on that port 6 a web server with MAC ADDRESS XX:XX:XX:XX:XX:XX above is connected, does that mean that :

* NO other devices of my LAN (with different MAC addresses so) connected on other ports will be authorized to use port 6 ?

* Can my web server on port 6 still work and be seen on the internet if I restrict port 6 to allow only MAC ADDRESS of my web server?

Thank you in advance !
Terry

2 REPLIES 2
OLARU Dan
Trusted Contributor
Solution

Re: HP PROCURVE 2524 PORT SECURITY MAC ADDRESS

A1: "inbound" traffic = traffic FROM the workstation to the switch port; "outbound" traffic = traffic TO the workstation from the switch port. The inbound/outbound judgement is made, in this case, from the point of view of the switch.

A2: If you or anybody else unplug the cable from the NIC of the server and plug it in the NIC of another computer C1 (which has a different MAC address with respect to the server), C1 will not be able to communicate through the network because the switch will see a different MAC attached to that port and will block that port. If you plug the cable back into the server NIC, the server will be able to communicate through the network.
Terry_71
Occasional Contributor

Re: HP PROCURVE 2524 PORT SECURITY MAC ADDRESS

Thaks a lot, Dan !
Have a nice day
Terry