108759 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: HP PROCURVE 5300series SSH LOGIN PROBLEM

SOLVED
Go to solution
Tommaso Rossetto

HP PROCURVE 5300series SSH LOGIN PROBLEM

Hi all,

we are experiencing an issue with ssh login on hp procurve switch series 5304xl/5308xl.
Since some days, when we try to access the switch, we are prompted in operator mode and the enable command reply with "access denied".
Only if we leave the operator session opened and connect again to the same switch we are able to access in manager mode.
Nobody ever had the same problem?
What could it be?
thanks
8 REPLIES 8
manui31804
Advisor

Hi,

maybe you can try to disable operator access to see if you can connect in manager mode at the first time with ssh.

After that try to add again operator mode with this command:

"password operator user-name "
you will be prompted to enter a password for this login.

regards

manu
Tommaso Rossetto

Thanks for your reply manu,

I tried with command "no password operator" in order to disable operator access (but I m not sure this is the correct command) and then try again to login but I still couldn't access in manager mode the first time.

How can I disable the operator access?

thx

Gerhard Roets
Esteemed Contributor

Hi Tommaso

You did not configure IP Authorized managers by any chance ?

When you say "Only if we leave the operator session opened and connect again to the same switch we are able to access in manager mode."
Do you mean you telnet to the switch from itself ?

HTH
Gerhard
Tommaso Rossetto

Thanks for your reply Gerhard

yes I have configured the switch with ' ip authorized-managers' in order to grant manager access from my workstation and it has always worked fine until just now.

I have not modified anything in the config of the switch but now it's impossible to access the switch in manager mode. I get always the console in operator mode!

Consider that I' m connecting to the switch trough SSH protocol with puTTY client, not telnet.

So, after the first login attempt (I am in operator mode) , I leave the session opened and launch another separate session with puTTY to the same switch (this was what I meant). Magically now the switch give me the manager prompt.

In addition I noticed that also the serial port does not work anymore.

This problem is strange because it happened at the same time on three switches in our network.

The switches are all the same model (5300xl) and have the same software version E.11.10.

thanks for your support,

Tommaso
Gerhard Roets
Esteemed Contributor

Hi Tommaso

Would you mind posting a switch config( off course stripping of snmp communities and keys) but if you can leave the IP addies and give us your station IP it would be great.

If you can get the output of show system it would also be good.

If you login with the first user and become operator, and then the second user as manager

run the command "show telnet" in both cases

HTH
Gerhard
Tommaso Rossetto

Ok Gerhard,

Here you will find attached file with the required output of a switch.
Still waiting for your answer.

Thank you very much
Tommaso
Gerhard Roets
Esteemed Contributor
Solution

Hi Tomasso

It all looks sane to me. . You might want to check there is a newer software version on the web.

There is a console hang fix. I do not think it is applicable offhand though.

You might want to concider logging a call with HP.

HTH
Gerhard
Tommaso Rossetto

thanks Gerhard ,

I see that there is a new software version so I'll try to upgrade before contact HP support.

best regards
Tommaso