New Discussion юеВ

Re: HP ProCurve 6120XG Blade Switch - Enabling ionternal Cross links

SOLVED
Go to solution
Gregorics Tamas
Occasional Advisor

HP ProCurve 6120XG Blade Switch - Enabling ionternal Cross links

Hi,

I have two 6120XG blade switches in a c7000 enclosure, and I'd like to enable the internal cross links. However I could not find any info related to this procedure in the manuals, guides.

Any idea?
8 REPLIES 8
rick jones
Honored Contributor
Solution

It has always been my impression (and experience) that the internal cross links were enabled by default. Now, if you install transceivers in ports x7 or x8, that will automagically disable the corresponding internal cross-link...
there is no rest for the wicked yet the virtuous have no pillows
Gregorics Tamas
Occasional Advisor

It does not look that way. I dedicated a vNIC connected to the 6120XG to a vswitch on esxi, and connected a VM to this vswitch (basicly connected the VM to the unplugged 6120XG). Can not communicate with the adjacent 6120XG (the corresponding switch is unplugged from the uplink) via the internal crosslinks.

Any ideas? How can I even troubleshoot or check the crlosslink packet statistics?
rick jones
Honored Contributor

I have asked around internally, and have been informed that my understanding about being enabled by default was incorrect, and that one has to go into the switch configuration and OA interfaces to enable the inter switch links.
Gregorics Tamas
Occasional Advisor

Could you please provide some information about the process of enabling it? Probably my fault, but I did not find any documentation describing it.
rick jones
Honored Contributor

I've been told that the "ProCurve Series 61220 Blade Switches Installation and Getting Started Guide" http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bc/docs/support/SupportManual/c01868065/c01868065.pdf

discusses how the ISL is under the control of both switch and OA configs. It is also my understanding that enabling/disabling the ISL port at the switch level is done with "plain" port enable/disable commands - likely the same as described in "ProCurve Series 6120 Switches Management and Configuration Guide."
Gregorics Tamas
Occasional Advisor

Hello,

I can see that in the switch I have the two ports enabled:
| Intrusion MDI Flow Bcast
Port Type | Alert Enabled Status Mode Mode Ctrl Limit
----- --------- + --------- ------- ------ ---------- ----- ----- ------

23 10GbE-K | No Yes Down 10GigFD on 0
24 10GbE-K | No Yes Down 10GigFD on 0

However, you (and the manual also) mention enabling ports in the Onboard Administrator. I can not see any options relating to enabling/disabling switch ports on the OA. I can only find port mappings (ports 1-16, blade ports) and information section.

Any hint here?

Btw, thank you for your support so far!
Gregorics Tamas
Occasional Advisor

Hi,

Finaly solved the problem.

For some reason one of the switches had the ports 23-24 enabled. Unfortunately this was the only switch I checked, and assumed the other would have the ports enabled. They were disabled.

After enabling the ports on the other switch too, the interlink is working perfectly.

Thank you for your assistance.
eric lai
Advisor

Re: HP ProCurve 6120XG Blade Switch - Enabling internal Cross links

I am new to 6120XG.

What is the benefit of cross-linking both switches together ?

Thanks.