Switches, Hubs, and Modems
1752571 Members
5123 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

HP ProCurve Switch xl 16-port 10/100/1000 Module (J4907A)

James Schuneman
Advisor

HP ProCurve Switch xl 16-port 10/100/1000 Module (J4907A)

I know the website has a Mid 2004 time frame, but I was just trying to get a better feeling of When it might be available to the Public. I have to make some purchases and I would rather have the J4907A Module, then having to go to two J4821A. Or Yet some other solution.

Thanks for any information that you may have.
James
Plan on going to school the rest of your Life.
9 REPLIES 9
Victor_68
Advisor

Re: HP ProCurve Switch xl 16-port 10/100/1000 Module (J4907A)

Hi,
As what I understand it won't be relased until October but that is just what I've heard.

cheers
Victor
James Schuneman
Advisor

Is your insight from the inside or the outside? I need something in place Aug 1st, we can't wait any longer after that. Would rather not have to invest in other hardware. Any other information you may have would be very helpful.
Thanks
James
Terry Kerns

They (J4907A) are available now from CDW (http://www.cdw.com) and PC Mall. I just ordered two. CDW had one in stock.
SCOOTER
Esteemed Contributor

Hi James,

What Terry links to looks like the module (althought no pics), but it is stated that shipping is 1-2 weeks. So I think they think the release will be in 1-2 weeks. I think I would go with Victors answer. But what lets you to call HP support they might know more... ;) Lots of thinking right...

Regards,

SCOOTER
Victor_68
Advisor

It can be orderd now but will be released in July so I guess you will be able to get it start of July if you order now.

cheers
James Schuneman
Advisor

Thanks all,

On the phone to place an order for 2 of them. Xmas cames early this year :-)
Terry Kerns

CDW claimed they had one in stock... My order status now shows backordered for both of them. They have updated their status from 1 to 2 weeks to 4-6 days. I think Victor may be correct and we will see these in July. At any rate. I am waiting anxiously. There is also a software update E_08_30.swi that must be applied before installation and of course ROM version E05.04
Dave Alfred

We got one a few weeks from a reseller that works closely with HP's design division so we were able to get one early. We tried installing it last week and had problems with trunking the copper ports (didnt try the fiber). We had about 40-50 devices on our 5308xl. We were able to communicate with about 5% of devices on the other end. We havent had a chance to work with HP to resolve the issue yet. So we arent sure if its a bad unit or if there is another issue. Ill post when we find out more.
Les Ligetfalvy
Esteemed Contributor

This thread has been dormant for a while but I thought I would share my experience anyway.
I recently received a bunch of 5308xl switches with this gig module and two of them were failing on by test bench. I was testing the power supply redundancy by unplugging/plugging one of the two power cords and somtimes a module would fail.
At no time was there any trap sent nor was there anything in the syslog. A soft boot would not bring back the module but would log the failure locally. An issue with the OS prevents boot-time errors from being sent to the trap. A cold boot would resurrect the module.
HP replaced both modules and both chassis and I have not been able to reproduce the problem since.
The switches are still on the test bed and will not go in production until some software notification issues are resolved. I still have a nagging concern about the lack of notification when the module failed as that points to an OS issue that hardware replacement does not solve.