Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HP ProCurve manager

SOLVED
Go to solution
willinfo
Frequent Advisor

HP ProCurve manager

I've just installed HP ProCurve Manager and I don't have any informations (in device syslog or events) about switch although some of them have a critical status.

Furthermore, I throwed the discovery on my network and many of my switchs now hage got the critical status .

I wait your answers with impacience. Thanks
89 REPLIES
cenk sasmaztin
Honored Contributor
Solution

Re: HP ProCurve manager

willinfo
Frequent Advisor

I have this guide and I read it but it doesn't respond to my problem.
cenk sasmaztin
Honored Contributor

what is your problem ?
what would learn you ?
cenk

willinfo
Frequent Advisor

I would like that PCM inform me about the switchs events first because in the windows device syslog and events I have anything.

cenk sasmaztin
Honored Contributor

hi send you pcm and switch event log message information pdf support all event info this two guide

ftp://ftp.hp.com/pub/networking/software/3500-5400-6200-ELRG-0207-K_12_XX-Book.pdf

http://sysdoc.doors.ch/HP/7/PCM_EventsList.pdf
cenk

willinfo
Frequent Advisor

thanks for all ! I will read it !
Javed Padinhakara
Respected Contributor

willinfo : make sure the windows box where PCM server is running, has no other application occupying the port 162.
You can do a netstat to confirm this. OR you could better use the tool "Currports" : www.nirsoft.net/utils/cports.html.

PCM needs this port to act as a SNMP trap receiver - and thus would be able to get the events from the switches.

If you find some other process(other than javaw.exe, which belongs to PCM) is using port 162,(One of the common culprit is "Windows SNMP Trap Receiver") then kill that process and restart PCM.

let me know if that helped.
Javed
willinfo
Frequent Advisor

Good morning and thanks for all your answers ! I practised the netstat on my computer but I don't find any port 162.
In the adminitrator guide of PCM, it's written that :

" To enable the Device Syslog function in PCM, you need to set the PCM server as the Syslog server. "

Furthemore, many switchs of my network are out because I have launched the discovery.

Thanks for your help.
willinfo
Frequent Advisor

I have just looked the discovery settings and on the seed device, I have the IP of my network 192.168.1.0 .

It's possible that was the consequences of my problem => the fact that many of my switches are red (critical status) when I launch the discovery ? I have to put a seed device like 192.168.1.1 ?
Steve Britt
Respected Contributor

willinfo,

Yes, for the discovery seed device you should put the IP of a device that will be reliably accessible to PCM - a ProCurve switch or router. I'm sure this is at least a part of your problem.

Regards,

SVB
cenk sasmaztin
Honored Contributor

willinfo
I can't understand your problem

what about you ? what is problem ?
cenk

cenk sasmaztin
Honored Contributor

if you see start from device red (critical status )on map
fristly
check update pcm server
all update must be fully

please go to hp ftp site last updates for pcm
pcm_2_3_322_update_9.zip,8.zip,7.zip,6.zip,5,zip

ftp://hp.com/pub/networking/software/
my advice download all update on your pcm server and make manual update

check update all switches
switches must be last update

check switch snmp comminity name
and not change snmp setting on switch

check preferance tab under discover status must be enable discovery
check ip address seed device

check managemet subnet preferans under discovery under subnet managemet subnet must be seed device network address

check discovery process status preferance under discovery under status

and make manuel discover all network device

cenk

willinfo
Frequent Advisor

How update all my switch ? and I don't know the community name of my switch ... how put one ?
willinfo
Frequent Advisor

I'm sorry but I have an other question. Now my discovery is disable but a few quantity of my switch pass to the status critical and sometimes, pass to the red ? How can I know why they do this and why my switchs pass to the red status(critical) or the yellow status(warning) ?
Javed Padinhakara
Respected Contributor

If PCM shows the switch as RED or YELLOW, it could mean:
a) the switch is NOT REACHABLE from PCM server.
b) there is credential mismatch between the one configured in switch and the one configured in PCM

Since you also mentioned "and I don't know the community name of my switch ... how put one ?" I guess its the case (b).

So you can right click on the device in PCM, and Select "Device Manager > Communication Parameters in Device". This would launch a wizard, where you can configure various credentials.

Once you configure as above, again make sure PCM too has the correct values by launching the "Device Manager > Communication Parameters in PCM" wizard.

Hope that helps
Javed
willinfo
Frequent Advisor

Thanks for your answer !
I don't have access to the switch configuration by right click on device manager ( on the network map ) when it's red color !!
Javed Padinhakara
Respected Contributor

are you able to do a simple windows ping to the switch from PCM box?
willinfo
Frequent Advisor

What do you mean with PCM box ?
You want that I do a ping with my pc to a red switch ?
Javed Padinhakara
Respected Contributor

Yes.
[ PCM box ==> Windows machine where PCM is installed ]
willinfo
Frequent Advisor

The ping is a success but the switch are already red.
willinfo
Frequent Advisor

Sorry I do a mistake, always red not already :-) !!
willinfo
Frequent Advisor

When I test with a right click on my red switch ( device access > test communication parameters in PCM ) , the result is very bad :

- SNMP Read Community : Device Unreachable
- SNMP Write Community : Device Unreachable
willinfo
Frequent Advisor

And now the ping doesn't work ! I think it's a problem orf communication with the SNMP protocol and the community name !

ButI don't know haw configure them !
Javed Padinhakara
Respected Contributor

- ping doesn't work ==> PCM cannot talk to the device from that windows machine. This network connectivity issue should be resolved first.

- ping works, but incorrect credentials configured in PCM ==> PCM cannot do SNMP communication with the device. To correct this use "Device Manager>Communiation Parameters in PCM" and configure supply correct SNMP values. If the SNMP values are not known - simplest way may have to manually find out by doing a telnet/console on the switch.

ps: sorry, but I guess many contradictions in each of your posts - making it difficult to guage the exact problem. Just a suggestion: Members in the forum could possibly help out better if problem is clearly defined and kept focussed around single area in each post.