Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HP ProLiant BL p-Class GbE2 Interconnect Switch vs Cisco: VLAN problems

ATairov
Occasional Visitor

HP ProLiant BL p-Class GbE2 Interconnect Switch vs Cisco: VLAN problems

Hello,
My HP Interconnect Switches connected by fully meshed architecture with BL20p G3 Blade Servers and two Cisco 3560's. All trunks and Etherchannels on Cisco switches are UP and in forwarding state. All tagging ports on HP switches also UP and in forwarding state. There is no spanning-tree loops or STP errors. Everething looks just great from switches. When ports on HP switches assigned to default VLAN1 I can assign static IP address on blade servers NIC and get full connectivity. As soon as I change VLAN tag on HP switch port from default VLAN1 to any ctreated on HP switches I'm loosing connectivity. I can see that VLAN is enabled and port is forwarding. NIC on the server with static IP address corresponding to new VLAN is sending and receiving data, but can't access network. From HP switch blade server is not accessible.
Does anybody has an idea what could be a problem?
3 REPLIES
Connery
Trusted Contributor

Re: HP ProLiant BL p-Class GbE2 Interconnect Switch vs Cisco: VLAN problems

Hi ATairov,
Please attach the configs from a working and non-working GBE2. That will help narrow down the problem.

In the meantime, remember that "tagging" a port on a GbE2 does not mean the port is automatically a VLAN trunk for all VLANs on the switch. Unlike Cisco (where enabling trunking automatically trunks all VLANs), the GbE2 requires you to add each port to each VLAN you want the port to carry.

Also, make sure the PVIDs on the GbE2 uplinks match the Native VLAN IDs on the Cisco downlinks.

Best regards,
-sean
ATairov
Occasional Visitor

Hello Sean,
Thanks alot for the hint! It's working now. The key was that I have to assemble uplink trunks (tagging ports) manually. Your comment about a differences between Cisco and HP make me understand better what need to be adjusted.
Thanks once again!
ALCS
Regular Advisor

Hello,

I'm having a similar issue, only VLAN1 works with Cisco
Can you please explain further waht was done.

Thanks
ALCS
Keep it simple