New Discussion юеВ

Re: HP Procurve 2510G-24 Port

SOLVED
Go to solution
rihatum
Occasional Advisor

HP Procurve 2510G-24 Port

Hi All,

I have just purchased 2 x HP Procurve 2510G-24 Port for our servers.

Our topology is like :

Patching is terminated on 2nd floor and the servers are located on the 1st Floor. Basically the servers are connected on the wall sockets (rj-45 outlet) on 1st Floor.

We need more ports downstairs, so we are planning to install ONE 2510G-24Port downstairs and One upstairs so that we can connect these two switches with some sort of port bundle / trunk so we get more throughput.

I am planning to connect the switch(24Port 2510G) to the wall socket 1 and 2, bundle two ports on the switch as 1 (so 2Gb pipe) and then do the same upstairs, so we get a 2Gb trunk between these two switches.

I understand that I can trunk the switches but how would I bundle two ports together on each switch and make them appear as ONE for more speed?

we don't need vlans.
we will then configure the two 2510-48Port 10/100 switches with our desktop lan and one cable from 2510-48 to the server switch upstairs (2nd floor).

Any thoughts on this ? I am new to Procurve but they seem quite feature rich. these are Layer 2 switches managed.

will be grateful for your suggestions / guidance.
Kind regards
6 REPLIES 6
Shadow13
Respected Contributor
Solution

on the CLI of the switch

#config
#trunk 1, 2 trk1 trunk

do this on both of the switches.

1, 2 are the ports

Regards,
Shadow13
Respected Contributor

rihatum
Occasional Advisor

Hi Shadow13,

Thanks for your reply, I have the Mgmt config guide you have mentioned, will have a look into it.

Another quick question :

can I bundle up 4 ports on these two procurve, so 4Gb throughput ?

Also LACP and trunking - is this the same thing or two different things and when would i want to use LACP ?

would you have any recommendations as I am going to connect two switches together, one downstairs (where the servers are) and one upstairs (where the patch termination is)

Kind regards
Shadow13
Respected Contributor

LACP is a link aggregation protocol and the diff. is that HP Trunk can only be static configured but LACP can be dynamic. to know more refer to the manual as it has more details.

Regarding the use of 4 ports. yes u can do that and i would recommend using the static trunk better, but if you want to use dynamic LACP it's up to u.

Regards,
Michael_Breuer
Esteemed Contributor

Hi,

regarding your questions:

Q: can I bundle up 4 ports on these two procurve, so 4Gb throughput ?

Yes, you will have 4 Gigabit, but the loadbalancing is based on Source/destination MAC/IP address. So don't expect 4 Gb/s between two hosts, because always one link will be used if MAC/IP address is the same.

Q: Also LACP and trunking - is this the same thing or two different things and when would i want to use LACP ?

Trunking can be configured in different flavours:
1) Static Trunking: no protocol between the two ends, static trunk interface Trk1-Trk24
2) Static LACP: LACP protocol will control the trunk, static configuration on both ends, static trunk interface Trk1-Trk24
3) Dynamic LACP: LACP protocol will control the trunk, trunk ports will be added dynamically, dynamic interface name: Dyn1-Dyn24

Best practice: Use static trunking or static LACP. When using LACP you have another instance controlling the proper connectivity of the links, because LACP is sending LACP BPDU to control the trunk.

Cheers,

Michael
Ingentive Networks GmbH
Occasional Visitor

Hi all!!

i have a problem with configuration of procurve, 

how can i connet to procurve, to configuration a IP adress?

Best regards)))