Switches, Hubs, and Modems
1748171 Members
4244 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: HP Procurve 2650 - mirroring - does it work?

SOLVED
Go to solution
Andrew Cunningham
Frequent Advisor

HP Procurve 2650 - mirroring - does it work?

The core of our LAN is a pair of stacked 2650 switches. One port ( port 48) on one switch is connected to a NetGear WAN router, and thus to the internet. Thus all internet traffic goes through this port.

I have installed WebSense software on one of the LAN machines to monitor internet usage.

Websense requires that all traffic on the port connected to the internet (48) be mirrored to this PC's port ( in this case 47).
Via the switch web interface I set the monitor port to be 47, and selected the port 48 to mirror. Confirmed through " show monitor" in the CLI.
Yet the PC ( port 47) does not appear to get any outgoing traffic on port 48.

Are there any problems with mirroring??
I am on switch software version 07.32.
12 REPLIES 12
Ardon
Trusted Contributor

Hi Andrew,

You mention "Yet the PC ( port 47) does not appear to get any outgoing traffic on port 48" I am afraid that is correct as te 2650 (like the 41XX) will only monitor Ingress Traffic (Incoming). This is a hardware constraint. Sorry to say so.

Thanks, Ardon
ProCurve Networking Engineer
Andrew Cunningham
Frequent Advisor

Hi ardon,
Is it possible to achieve with 2-way port spanning?

Andrew
Ardon
Trusted Contributor
Solution

Andrew,

There is a workaround. I have attached a document that describes how to configure.
A very easy one would be, as you are using an 100 speed port, to insert a Hub inline on that link running to your ISP and connect the Sniffer PC to that hub.

How to configure the 2650, using a Monitoring port, and still see Ingress and Egress traffic on the link, is described in the attached .doc file.

Hope this helps.
Andrew Cunningham
Frequent Advisor

Thanks for the word doc - As you point out the 100BT hub solution is easy and cheap - seems to wotk well.

Thanks again!
seymour999
Frequent Advisor

Ardon:

When I try downloading your attached doc, I receive zero characters. Is there another source for this info?

TIA,
Evan
Ardon
Trusted Contributor

Hi,

With firmware G.07.50 we changed the way we Monitor. Now we Monitor both Ingress and Egress so no need for the former work-around.

Ardon
Ardon Vos

?
Andrew Cunningham
Frequent Advisor

Thanks for the info, I will download 0.7.50 and try it out.
Ardon
Trusted Contributor

Guys,

I made a huge mistake. The enhancement I mentioned to monitor both Ingress and Egress applies to the I.07.51 code (28XX).
I am very sorry for the inconvenience.

Ardon