4868 Online
108794 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: HP Procurve 2824 J4903A History group

sara.paiva
Occasional Advisor

HP Procurve 2824 J4903A History group

Hi,

i┬┤m working with a HP Procurve 2824 J4903A and i can only see the statistics group (and according to the specifications it supports groups 1,2,3 and 9). When i check rmon command options i only see the option statistics.

What is necessary to configure history group?

Thanks
SP
9 REPLIES 9
Matt Hobbs
Honored Contributor

Through the CLI you can only see the statistics group. To see the others you first need them up via SNMP using a management application.

What sort of information are you after exactly? Have you looked at PCM+ Traffic Monitor or InMon's sFlow products?
sara.paiva
Occasional Advisor

I wanted to configure the history control table (and also the alarm and events). Basically, i wanted to see what i can achieve with this groups.

Some of the commands in HP documentation are:
HP9300(config)# rmon history 1 interface 1 buckets 10 interval 10 owner nyc02

HP9300(config)# rmon alarm 1 ifInOctets.6 10 delta rising-threshold 100 1 falling threshold 50 1 owner nyc02

For what i understand these should be commands to use in CLI, right?

If it helps, the version is I.07.31, ROM I.07.01.

Thanks in advance.
SP
Matt Hobbs
Honored Contributor

Those CLI commands are only available on the 9300 series which are very different products to the 2800 series.
sara.paiva
Occasional Advisor

But in the specs i see it has support for the 4 RMON groups.
Is there any manual explaining how to configure RMON groups in 2800 series??

What can i do to use these groups?

I cannot find much info on this. :(

Thanks
SP
Matt Hobbs
Honored Contributor

If you're really interested in RMON then I'd recommend you purchase some books on the topic.

Some other good resources:
http://www.flukenetworks.com/fnet/en-us/supportAndDownloads/KB/IT+Networking/optiview/What_is_RMON.htm
http://www.networkinstruments.com/products/suite_rmon.html

I'd actually suggest you look into sFlow instead which is a much newer and more powerful sampling technology. With PCM+ Traffic Monitor you can get a very quick and easy feel for it.

Don't forget to assign points.
sara.paiva
Occasional Advisor

I have some books on this matter.. But, of course, they are generic.

What i would really like is a manual from HP concerning the configuration in this specific model.

Or isnt├В┬┤t there any?

Is there some HP support team for these questions? Any mail dedicated to these tecnical issues?

I would happily assign points if i had had some enlightment on this matter, which didn├В┬┤t happen so far.

Thanks once more,
SP
Matt Hobbs
Honored Contributor

There is no manual on RMON from HP because it is a generic standard and is covered in those books you have purchased and the RFC's. All you need to know from HP is that they support groups 1,2,3 and 9. There is nothing to configure from the CLI.

It is configured via SNMP but this is the complex part and if you do not know how then you need an application that does all this complex work for you. One such application is PCM+ which can configure RMON Alarms (group 3).

For something more powerful, Network Instruments Observer Suite looks to be able to take full advantage of all of the RMON groups - http://www.networkinstruments.com/products/observer/suite.html
sara.paiva
Occasional Advisor

I will look into those applications.

Thank you
SP
sara.paiva
Occasional Advisor

I made some research on those applications, but i believe i need some specific hardware to use Observer Suite.

Isn├В┬┤t it possible to benefict from the RMON features without extra hardware?

Thanks
SP