1753923 Members
8357 Online
108810 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: HP Procurve 3400/ 2800 Setup LACP & OSPF

Sean LaBrie

HP Procurve 3400/ 2800 Setup LACP & OSPF

Hello,

I'm completely new to HP switches. I am familiar with cisco switches, but not an expert.

I'd like to know how to configure redundant links between an hp 3400(core switch) and a few 2800s(access switches). On the 3400 ports 1&2 will go to 2800-1 and 3&4 will go to 2800-2, 5&6 goto 2800-3, 7&8 go to 2800-4, and so on. Can anyone give me a run down of what i need to do to configure this on the 3400 and on each 2800? I also need to know how to create a route on the 3400 as this will be the default gateway for this lan. And finally how can i configure the 3400 to participate in OSPF?

Thanks,

P.S. please include the basic commands to get to that part of the Switch's OS as well.

Example. in ciso it would be, enable, config t, int f 0/1, to configure an interface, is the HP equivilent?

Thanks again.
3 REPLIES 3
Dmitry G. Spitsyn
Trusted Contributor
Sean LaBrie

Thanks, Any ideas on how to configure the connections between the switches? I've read through some documentaion about LACP but I'm still not sure as to whether or not the switches will do this automatically or whether it needs to be configured on 1 switch or both.

Thanks,
Dmitry G. Spitsyn
Trusted Contributor

As to dynamic LACP, at least one side of the link should be active.
All the Procurve switches' ports are in a passive dynamic LACP state by default.
It means they will send LACP bpdus only in response to LACP bpdus from the other side.
A great disadvantage of dynamic LACP is that dynamic LACP logical (virtual) port (HP Procurve call it a port trunk) automatically becomes an untagged member of Default VLAN (VLAN 1).
You can make it a member of other VLANs only using GVRP.
I wouldn't recommend you to use dynamic LACP especially in combination with GVRP. It's a security hole.
You can use static LACP instead. For example:
# trunk a1,a3,a5 Trk1 lacp
# vlan 2
# tagged Trk1
# vlan 3
# tagged Trk1

Good luck,
Dmitry