New Discussion юеВ

Re: HP Procurve 4000m

Arsi
Occasional Advisor

HP Procurve 4000m

Hi.

Im getting error:

Excessive undersized / giant packets.

In the other end is Allied Telesyn MC102XL media converter and in Procurve 4000m is 100Base-FX Module (J4112A).

I have replaced new media converter on the other end and still getting the same error.

I haven't installed new firmware yet.
5 REPLIES 5
SCOOTER
Esteemed Contributor

And if you try the connection without converter? Do you still get CRC errors? If not, then you know the converter is giving the problem. If you still get the errors check the portsettings the need to be the same on both sides speed/duplex

Kind regards,
SCOOTER
Arsi
Occasional Advisor

Well we have 2 different offices which are connected through optical fiber. And now the other end is in Procurve 4000m (in 100Base-FX module) and the other end is connected through media converter to some very old D-Link unmanaged switch.

This error comes 2-4 times a week nowadays.
SCOOTER
Esteemed Contributor

Hi,
I'd still check the settings on the convertor and both switches, i suppose that the D-link is on autonegotiation, check the 4000M setting and verify that you have the same setting on the convertor. It could also be the cable that is giving the problem. Also upgrade the firmware.

SCOOTER
Erik Ibsen_3
Advisor

It sounds like a duplex mismatch. We use these same devices where I work, and I find that the MC102 should not be set to autonegotiate, and the HP should be hard set to the speed/duplex you need. Also, the link test on the MC should remain active, this helps the device regain its link in the event of a power failure.
OLARU Dan
Trusted Contributor

The error "Too many undersized/giant packets" might be due to bad NIC drivers. You should check the drivers in the site where you're using the media converter.