1751898 Members
5079 Online
108783 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: HP Procurve 5308xl/J4819A Switch & Default Gateway

Borg8472
Frequent Advisor

HP Procurve 5308xl/J4819A Switch & Default Gateway

My switch is fully functional with the exception of VLAN default gateways. I have several VLANs defined and all is working well, but I have not been able to ascertain how to define the default gateway for each VLAN. I want to keep my VLAN segmented such that they can not see other each. How do I setup the default gateway for each VLAN? It's probably simple, I'm just not seeing it.
7 REPLIES 7
Tijl van der Steeg
Valued Contributor

Have you assigned IP's to the VLAN's?
Tijl van der Steeg
Valued Contributor

also config would be nice
Borg8472
Frequent Advisor

Yes, I have assigned IPs to the VLANS. Attached is a snapshot of a sample VLAN. In the Default Field, is the default gateway for the switch. Is this where I am to specific the default gateway for the given VLAN. If Yes, it's not working for me. Or is the switch's default gateway somehow global to all VLANs.
Tijl van der Steeg
Valued Contributor

I had a customer with a similar situation. I solved this by using static routes. Note that the default gateway parameter applies only to the default VLAN.

ProCurve(config)# ip routing
ProCurve(config)# ip route 0.0.0.0/0

etc etc
Borg8472
Frequent Advisor

I will call HP Technical Support today. I will let you know what I find out. Is it true that HP switches have a life time warranty?
Tijl van der Steeg
Valued Contributor

Yes: http://www.procurve.com/customercare/support/warranty/ltw.htm

I don't think you need to open a call. If you do this by using static routing, there will be no problem.
Borg8472
Frequent Advisor

I will go ahead and define the default gateways using a static route, as you suggested.

Thanks for the confirmation regarding the warranty information, as well!