108792 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: HP Procurve Manager plus

Jonathan Axford
Trusted Contributor

Right, Let's start again....

I may have been a bit vague in my first post by saying

I have checked the SNMP community strings and the telnet username and password, and they are all correct.

So, I backed it up a bit further along with ....

As i said, I have changed all of the switches to have a username and password, and configured the PCM+ box with these details.

I have checked and double checked that all is correct, This isn't my first use of PCM+ so i am certain that it is configured correctly. The details configured in the PCM+ box, Tools-Preferences etc exactly match those of my switch. Both Telnet and SNMP details.

The scan will fail if the SNMP details are not entered correctly, And as i said before, these details are correct, They need to be present for the initial device discovery.

The version i am running is 1.5,

I think i will let the box re-discover, but i think i will end up putting a call into HP , my boss really wants it up and running and i am fresh out of ideas!

Just thought someone may have suffered a similar problem and would be able to enlighten me!

Hopefully v1.6 will be out soon, and that might sort it.
Where there is a will there is a way...
Les Ligetfalvy
Esteemed Contributor

Well... I decided to sniff what goes on between the switch and PCM and it seems I was barking up the wrong tree. Sorry about that. :O) I see no evidence of telnet use during a scan. Appears to be entirely snmp and tftp.

That then leads me to ask what changes you made to the default snmp community settings in the switch and in PCM. I presume you changed the defaults for improved security but did you in so doing change the assignment of operator/manager in the switches and the management checkbox in PCM(device manager)?
Jonathan Axford
Trusted Contributor

Hi,

I have changed the defualt SNMP community strings and also configured a manager user-name and password.

I have entered those details into PCM+, What do you mean by the 'management checkbox in PCM(device manager)'

Cheers

Jonathan Axford
Trusted Contributor

Upgrading to PCM+ 2 to see how that performs, Have had loads of problems with v1.5 and v1.6 ever since it was installed...