1747988 Members
4788 Online
108756 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

HP Procurve Manager problem

Erik Ibsen_3
Advisor

HP Procurve Manager problem

Sorry for all the questions lately, but I can only do so much and read so many books!
I'm using the latest HP Procurve Manager (downloaded from the HP site) and I'm having a terrible time getting it to do anything, like see traffic, see configs of switches, etc. There are 3 or 400 devices I'm trying to manage, mostly HP switches, and I can see about a dozen of them. They're all set up on vlans, and it seems the vlan the Procurve Manager box is on is easy to see, but still I can't see every switch on that vlan. I've set the proxy correctly, and ensured the proxy is functional. I've removed and reinstalled Procuve Manager. I've even read the help files from cover to cover, but I still must be missing something. Anyone have any insight into this software?
5 REPLIES 5
Ron Kinner
Honored Contributor

Re: HP Procurve Manager problem

Can't swear to it but I suspect Procurve Manager uses SNMP to talk to the switches. This requires the switch to have an IP address and subnet and perhaps a default gateway if the PM is not on the same subnet. You can not use SNMPv3 or change the Community String from public. If you use security then you have to tell the switch that the PM server's IP address is allowed to talk to the switch.

If you have a Window box on the network, get getif from

http://www.wtcs.org/snmp4tpc/getif.htm

Point it at one of your working switches and set getif's READ community string to public and see if it can see see the switch. It should be able to (if not put it on the switch's good guy list in security). Now point it at one that doesn't work and try the same thing. Does it work?

Ron
Mohamed Hamedi
Respected Contributor

So can you see the devices on the tree on the left? If not make sure you have added that subnet to the Discovery.
IT-Enheten_2

Hi! Having the samr problem. About 700 nodes worked fine with TT but PM stops after 92 nodes (wich took ages) and refuses to discover any more devices. Have SMNP, have network on managed subnet list, have right community string. Still using good ole TT
Mohamed Hamedi
Respected Contributor

Out of the 700 nodes how many are ProCurve switched and do you see those in PCM?

Ted Nguyen
Advisor

Please check the starting device specified for discovery (Tools->Preferences and Global->Discovery->Settings) and make sure this device is a core ProCurve device in your network and is SNMP accessible. Also, PCM is designed to manage and support switches only. These switches must belong to the managed subnets. PCM will discover end-nodes such as PC, printer, etc only if the devices are SNMP accessible (having the snmp community name matches with PCM) but it won't map them. The only thing it does for end-node devices is to poll for status. Most end-node devices have public as the default community name so unless you use public as the default SNMP read community name for PCM, these devices will be classified as unknown devices.

Hope this helps.