3607 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: HP Procurve certification exams

Jonathan Axford
Trusted Contributor

HP Procurve certification exams

Hi All,

Has anyone done any of the HP Procurve certs?
If so, what are they like?

My company wants me to take the Adaptive edge fundamentals exam soon, i have been going through the course book and it doesn't seem to bad. Apparently you need to pass this exam before you qualify for the other courses in the ASE track...

Any thoughts wlecomed...

Cheers guys , Jonboy
Where there is a will there is a way...
11 REPLIES 11
Mohieddin Kharnoub
Honored Contributor

HI

I have dome all the technical Certs, you have AIS, ASE and Master ASE.

You have to take the AIS, then ASE then the Master, AIS is easy, ASE now changed before 2 weeks, and the Master has a new Track also.

Check:
http://www.hp.com/rnd/training/tech_certs.htm

Good Luck with ProCurve.
Science for Everyone
Sergej Gurenko
Trusted Contributor

All the books, courseware, labs are included on the recent Procurve Public Marketing/Training DVD. You can get it from the local HP Procurve representatives.
Comparing with other industry exams Procurve exams are really easy. I saw a lot of exams Microsoft, Cisco, Checkpoint, Enterasys, Comptia - HP Procurve is the easiest.

P.S. It is strange that the company freely release all the courseware, but this is the way Procurve do it.
Jonathan Axford
Trusted Contributor

Thanks for your info guys, I will try and get hold of one of those DVD's.

I have an MCSE in Windows 2000 which wasn't too bad, i found a couple of the exams quite difficult but passed them all anyway, so glad to hear the procurve ones are alright!

Where there is a will there is a way...
Bergin
Advisor

On this free Procurve Public Marketing/Training DVD - has anyone gotten one or can scan a cover so I can request one? I just paid $600 for the books which was a good investment but I would be interested if there are electronic copies available.

Thanks,

Rob
Janet Lehr

Hello Jonboy

I am the certification manager for ProCurve Networking - I'd like to clarify some of the information provided in this thread.

The ProCurve course materials are not generally available on DVD. In some countries, a ProCurve representitive COULD make it available, but it is not the strategy of ProCurve to create DVDs. The exam questions are written such that both book knowledge and hands-on experience are required to answer correctly. It is highly recommended that you take the training classes, unless you have years of experience with the ProCurve products. Please contact your local sales rep for more information on this.

To help you prepare for your ProCurve exams, you can visit the training and certification website at www.hp.com/go/procurvetraining and check out the technical and sales certification areas. We provide Exam Prep Guides that have some sample questions to give you an idea of how the questions are worded.

We have a very stringent process for writing exam questions and I get almost no complaints about them, so I think you will find them to be very fair (some are certainly harder than others)

Good luck with your certification

Janet Lehr
Certification Manager
ProCurve Networking by HP
Avrillon_1
Occasional Visitor

Hello

This DVD is part of a kit that ProCurve provides to partners for EMEA (Europe Middle East & Africa). Regularly, when we are announcing new products, we build a launch kit which contains information on our products. This is part of the PNS program (ProCurve Partner Program) benefits. Therefore it's not "public" content. And the best is, as Sergej said, to contact your local ProCurve representative.

Regards,

Emmanuel Avrillon
Training Manager EMEA
Bergin
Advisor

Janet,

Consider this a complaint.

The days of keeping courseware under lock and key are gone - long gone.

I hope someone in the EMEA region puts up a bittorrent file of the courseware and allows it to disseminate around the world.

Then I hope alot of folks download it, read it but since its only applicable to HP Switches, they would then have to dump their Cisco, Nortel gear and start buying Procurve switches.

Has anyone actually figured out if the training revenues would decrease if they gave the courseware away?

What if - giving the courseware away led to a huge adoption of HP networking gear and that was more revenue that the training & certification department made?

People still want instructor-led training, and they will still pay for it.

But for guys like me with 100+ 2524 switches, two 9308's and a couple 5304's - the only training I am going to get is reading the courseware I paid $600 in five binders that are inches thick.

If the courseware is available electronic - give it out to anyone with a HP Service Contract- EMEA is doing it, why can't the America's do it - heck why can't all the HP regions behave the same.

My two cents.

Rob

p.s.

I don't even know who my local HP rep is - how sad is that - and what's sadder - I can't find a link to even ask how to find out who my rep is.
Bill Hollister

Hi Rob,

I would love to have a chance to address some of your issues re. free courseware downloads and what the current thinking is around this subject. Pls email me at:

bill.hollister@hp.com

Thanks,

Bill Hollister
Marketing - Americas
stewart Wilmot
Occasional Contributor

do i need to carry out the courses in order to take exams? I am a little confused, my understanding of the system is that i attend the course, get a HP student ID and then i take the exam.

This will be rather costly when i feel my knowledge is good enough to get through the basic courses.
Please advise