1753695 Members
5927 Online
108799 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

HP Switch 4000 & DHCP Servers

David Patel_2
Occasional Contributor

HP Switch 4000 & DHCP Servers

Hi, I'm experimenting and learning as I go, so bare with me.
I have a HP Switch 4000 with 8 blades of 10/100.
I wanted to connect a firewall to one port on Blade A and set it to say to something called VLAN MAIN, then blades B, C and D etc were to be individual blades, which would not allow traffice to each other but would to blade a (Vlan Main). I understand this cna be done by Vlans, however I wanted each VLan to have its own DHCP Server on a different subnet (ie 10.0.10.x, 10.0.20.x, 10.0.30.x etc. Can the HP switch be a DHCP Server to each vlan, and then obviously route to the single default gateway which would logically be the firewall on blade A.
?
3 REPLIES 3
Matt Hobbs
Honored Contributor

Re: HP Switch 4000 & DHCP Servers

No ProCurve switches today can currently act as a DHCP server, not to mention a 10 year old switch like the 4000M!

What you would normally do is also create the VLANs on the firewalls and put the IP interfaces on the firewall itself. It will control all of the routing and act as the DHCP server.

The switch will simply have the VLAN configuration only.
David Patel_2
Occasional Contributor

Hi Matt
Thanks for your response. I'd been reading and come across that conclusion.

We have a Sonicwall Pro which has One lan interface which normally you assign it an ip address. It can be a DHCP Server but there is no method of multiple DHCP servers.
Basically, I wanted each VLAN to have a different IP subnet. Is this possible through one DHCP Server?.

Thanks for the response so quickly.
D
Matt Hobbs
Honored Contributor

Yes, definitely is possible. It's going to be a question on if the sonicwall supports it but quickly looking at the datasheet it looks like it will - http://www.sonicwall.com/downloads/PROSERIES_DS_US.pdf