7301 Online
108799 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: HP Toptools Problems

Andrew Davenport
Frequent Advisor

HP Toptools Problems

Hi All,
I have successfully installed HP Toptools version 5.6 for hubs and switches and seem to have a little problem with the discovery.
My Toptools does not discover anything on my network. I have also tried this on another network too. All HP Switches on the LAN have IP Addresses assigned and can be accessed via web manager. The subnet in the Discovery settings is correct and the firewall supports SNMP which is enabled.
When i manually start a discovery i also get the message "Cannot get DISCOVERY status".
Other than this my Toptools installtion is fine, have i missed something important?
Thanks in Advance
3 REPLIES 3
SCOOTER
Esteemed Contributor

Andrew,

What switches do you have in your network? Not all Procurve Switches are seen by Toptools.
Toptools was obsoleted some time ago and no further development for TT.

Regards,

SCOOTER
Andrew Davenport
Frequent Advisor

There is one Procurve 8000M Switch and several Procurve 2650 Switches on the network. Is there an alternative to Toptools that would perform a similar function?
SCOOTER
Esteemed Contributor

Andrew,

The 8000M should have no problem at all to be discovered in TT. The 26xx series cannot be discovered.
The alternative for TT is PCM (Procurve Manager). It does not have all the functions like TT, and I have heard people hating and loving it.
There is a trial version for PCM+ (30day's) included in the basic installation.
Another piece of software is Openview, but very high in cost.
What is it that you want to do?

Regards,

SCOOTER