1748251 Members
3832 Online
108760 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

HP ethertwist hub plus 28688b

Bella_2

Trying to assign an ip. Attempting to connect through hyperterminal via rs-232(PC win98) .I can't get in to this thing at this point I feel really dumb!!. Hyperterminal indicates I am connected but all I get is a blank screen.
Help!!!!
5 REPLIES 5
Jerome Henry
Honored Contributor

Re: HP ethertwist hub plus 28688b

Is your cable adapted ? Did you try to use default ip on telnet ?
J
You can lean only on what resists you...
Ron Kinner
Honored Contributor

Hyperterm has no idea about whether you are connected or not. Unplug the cable and I bet it still thinks you are connected.

I'm not familiar with your hub and there is no documentation on HP's website that I can find. However, the usual problem is the cable. Often you need a crossover cable or a null modem to talk to a hub. The other problem may be the speed tho usually you will see some garbage if this is the problem. Normally 9600 8-N-1 will work for most things but Hyperterm's default is 2400 8-N-1. I have seen versions of Hyperterm which required you to set the speed then close and save Hyperterm setup then reopen it in order to get the speed to take. There is also another setting for flow control which sometimes needs to be set. There are only three options so you can try all three. (You have to tell Hyperterm to disconnect in order to change the speed or flow control options.)

Also make sure that you are using the correct Com port. IF you have an A and a B make sure you know which is which.

Ron
Bella_2

Thanks to both of you.

I can't find much documentation on this hub either.

Also, I don't know what the default ip is !? The documentation I did find indicates this hub has to have an ip configured!??? I checked the settings in hyperterminal and set the flow to x on/x off like documentation stated.Tried different pc's. i am so frustrated!!!!
I also have a HP Advanced Stack Hub with the same issue. I really think it must be something I am over looking.
Thanks once again
Jerome Henry
Honored Contributor

As Ron says, check your cable first. Are you sure it's the right kind ?
On checking doc, you indeed need a "null-modem serial port cable". Is it what you have ? Didi you get it with the ethertwist ? Was it working for that purpose ?
RE default address, I find silly things about 0.0.0.0 address, which isn't quite useful for us.
If you are not on a huge network, try to scan it, using a tool like ipscan, which will give you all the addresses on your entwork, including your hubs if they have any.
http://www.zone-h.org/en/download/category=44/
hth
J
You can lean only on what resists you...
Yves Bonenfant

Hello,

If I remember well, you need the specific HP console cable ref. 24542G.
It has a DB-9 connector at one end and a DB-25 at the other.
Did you use a null modem cable with a DB-9 at both ends + a DB-9 to DB-25 adapter ?

Also, don't hesitate to press on carriage return many times while you are in HyperTerminal.
It allows the HUB to sense the RS232 speed.

Hope this helps !

Regards,
Yves.