Switches, Hubs, and Modems
1753381 Members
5693 Online
108792 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: HP procurve 4000m maximum trunking

HP procurve 4000m maximum trunking

Hi,

I'm trying to connect 2 procurve 4000m together with a high-bandwidth low-latency connection, but am not prepared to go to the expense of Fibre or Gigabit copper.

I know trunks are limited to 4 ports, but is it possible to create 2 trunks have the switch balance accross 2 trunks? I have STP enabled, so the chance is there that 1 of the trunks will be disabled by the switch fabric.

Ideas?

Robert Campbell
6 REPLIES 6
Stuart Teo
Trusted Contributor

Hi,

The short answer is 'NO'. The max size of a trunk on a 4000m is a 4 port trunk. That's all. If you have 2 trunks connecting the 2 switches with STP turned on, one of the trunks will be blocking.
If a problem can be fixed, there's nothing to worry. If a problem can't be fixed, worrying ain't gonna help. Bottom line: don't worry.
Shane_33
Frequent Advisor

The other option is to enable the two trunks, then turn on switch meshing.

Regards,
Shane.
Dmitry G. Spitsyn
Trusted Contributor

Alas !

Trunking and meshing DO NOT coexists.
Either trunking or meshing.
The switch can have up to 24 meshed ports.

BR,
Dmitry

Well, that's the answer I've been looking for. If I mesh several of the 8 ports modules together, I will get 6 links from one switch to the other. Other than creating more bandwidth between the switches, it also eases the backbone, as directly connected blades will communicate directly, instead of through the switch backbone. Thanks for the excellent answers/discussions!

Kind Regards,
Robert Campbell
Stuart Teo
Trusted Contributor

Robert,

Depending on how far you want to take the mesh, a mesh domain may have no more than 12 switches. Keep that in mind!
If a problem can be fixed, there's nothing to worry. If a problem can't be fixed, worrying ain't gonna help. Bottom line: don't worry.

Hwee,

thanks for that, but I'm 'only' connecting two hp4000m switches together.

Kind regards,

Robert Campbell