Hello,

What I want to do is the following:
I have 4 carriers those carriers
are in an second bulding. our
main core switch is in the main building. I have 1 cat5 cable
between those buildings. What I want to
do is the following:
I want to puss those 4 carriers on 1 singel
cable from the second building to our mainbuilding. They may not see each other. I have 2 HP procurve 2524. Can I do this with port trunking? How to start?

Thank you,

Rolf
2 REPLIES 2
Les Ligetfalvy
Esteemed Contributor

Re: HP procurve trunking howto

Not sure I fully understand your setup, but I don't think port trunking is what you are after. Port trunking is the act of aggregating multiple ports into a single "trunk" entity.

I think what you are after is VLANs. You could start by reading up on VLAN tagging in the "Management and Config.pdf" that came with your switch.

BTW, the notion of running CAT5 between buildings does not sit well with me. I much prefer the electrical isolation that fibre has.
Manuel Wolfshant
Trusted Contributor

Re: HP procurve trunking howto

For the sake of explanation, I will use the name 'second switch' for the one in the second building. Assign the ports on the second switch as follows: port1 -> carrier1, port2 -> carrier 2, port3 -> carrier3, port4 -> carrier4, port5 -> link to the core switch.
Create on both switches at least 4 VLANs. On the second switch, each VLAN should have 2 ports assigned to it: one untagged port where you plug the carrier and port 5, in trunking mode. On the core switch, set a port in trunking mode, assigned for the link to the second switch ; make sure it is included in all 4 VLANs.
example (ports 22-24 are links to other switches, port 10 is a router):
interface 22
name "hp2"
exit
interface 23
name "hp3"
exit
interface 24
name "hp4"
exit
vlan 400
name "common"
untagged 4-7,9,11-12,25-26
no ip address
tagged 10,22-24
exit
vlan 149
name "one4nine"
untagged 8
no ip address
tagged 10,22-24
exit
vlan 148
name "sw-team"
no ip address
tagged 10,22-24
exit
vlan 150
name "onefifty"
no ip address
tagged 10,22-24
exit
You will notice that vlans 148-150 are created just for transport, there are no untagged ports included here, in the core switch

Enjoy.