1751901 Members
5314 Online
108783 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: HP8000M - fault light still flashing even though fault repaired

Neil_77
Frequent Advisor

HP8000M - fault light still flashing even though fault repaired

We recently had to replace fan trays on a number of HP 8000M switches on our network.

For most of the switches, this was no problem. However, one proved a bit more troublesome in actually connecting the new fan tray.

But eventually, it was connected ok and the switch was powered up again. However, even though we could see that the fan was turning and the event log had stopped reporting fan failures - the fan fault alarm on the front of the switch is still flashing!

Does anyone have any ideas why this should be and how we can rectify it?

The switch looks to be functioning as normal, apart from this fault light.
7 REPLIES 7
Stuart Teo
Trusted Contributor

Hi,

Did you look at the boot logs? They might give you a clue or 2.
If a problem can be fixed, there's nothing to worry. If a problem can't be fixed, worrying ain't gonna help. Bottom line: don't worry.
Eirram_1
Frequent Advisor

Hello Neil,
Depending on the firmware version of that particular 8000M, you may be in need of a firmware upgrade. I seem to recall this being somewhat of an issue some time ago. Check out the release notes of the most current build.

Other than that, a clear reset may help. Obviously that will erase your current config...

cheers,
Eirram
Neil_77
Frequent Advisor

Hi, thanks for the advice.

Hwee - if boot logs are the same as event logs (sorry, I'm new to HP switches so not completely familiar with all the terminology yet!) then there is nothing of any note in there. (If by boot logs, you mean something else then how do I check these?)

Eirram - we are running the latest firmware C.09.22. Although the switch was running C.09.16 when it had the fan fault originally. We took advantage of the planned downtime to upgrade the OS when we were replacing the fan.

Its a production switch so a clear reset isn't reall an option seeing as it looks like this is a problem we can live with. Its just more of an irritation than anything else (unless anyone knows differently?)

Thanks again for the suggestions - if anyone has any more advice on this please let me know!
Eirram_1
Frequent Advisor

Hello again Neil,

Just had a chat with a mate of mine and he mentioned having seen a similar problem on his network, including your description of that one switch not accepting the new fan tray as easily as the others.

In the end he called support and they exchanged the chassis for him. Personally I would give them a ring. You now have no way of telling if the Fan is broken or not. If your network closet/room is very cool, it might not be a problem. But overall I would say it could reduce the life-span of that switch, not having the proper cooling. Mind that this is a personal opinion, 8000M and 4000M are great switches.

Perhaps other temperature related irks could pop up as well and ruin your weekend :)

Either way, good luck.
Cheers,
Eirram
Neil_77
Frequent Advisor

Hi Eirram,

well, thats good to know that someone else has experienced a similar problem, at least!

i think you are right - I'll give HP a call and see if they can send a replacement chassis then I can schedule a time to replace the switch.

Fingers crossed nothing goes wrong with it in the meantime!

Thanks for the advice.
Stuart Teo
Trusted Contributor

Yes, I meant the event logs. When a switch boots up, it logs entries when it tests the various components of the switches. Did everything 'pass' the self-diagnostics and but the fault LED still stays lit?
If a problem can be fixed, there's nothing to worry. If a problem can't be fixed, worrying ain't gonna help. Bottom line: don't worry.
Neil_77
Frequent Advisor

Hi Hwee,

yes, the switch passed the self tests - all that remains is this fault light for the fan.

Neil