Switches, Hubs, and Modems
1753435 Members
4555 Online
108793 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: HSRP problems with HP Procurve switches.

SOLVED
Go to solution
Amagalan
Occasional Advisor

HSRP problems with HP Procurve switches.

In office I have two Cisco 1841 routers running ospf on WAN side and HSRP on LAN side. When both routers are connected to one switch on LAN, HSRP works fine. But when I expand LAN to three switches HSRP refuses to work. I think that the problems is with trunking between switches, and between switches and routers. Can anyone help with this topic? Network diagram is attached.
9 REPLIES 9
Michael_Breuer
Esteemed Contributor
Solution

Hello,

hard to say what is going on. Please attach the config of all related device and a "show lldp i r" of each HP switch.

Cheers,

Michael
Ingentive Networks GmbH
Amagalan
Occasional Advisor

Hi Michael,
Thanks for reply.
I have attached the requested info.
Antonio Milanese
Trusted Contributor

Hi Amagalan,

you've been trapped by differences in jargon between Cisco and Hp..

when you define a "trunk" interface on HP gears you're defining a static etherchannel not a interface carrying all allowed vlans..

you should explicitly (or use GVRP) add uplink interfaces as tagged members of carried vlans and use dot1q encap on cisco side.

I suggest you this whitepaper:

h17007.www1.hp.com/.../Cisco/HP-Networking-and-Cisco-CLI-Reference-Guide_June_10_WW_Eng_ltr.pdf

Regards,
Antonio
Michael_Breuer
Esteemed Contributor

Hello,

indeed: creating a trunk with just one interface is not what you want. The HP trunking means that you create a channel with several interfaces. Remove all trunk groups:
i.e:
no trunk 25

Keep all interfaces as untagged and check if you have ip connectivity between the two Ciscos.

Cheers,

Michael

Ingentive Networks GmbH
Amagalan
Occasional Advisor

Hi everybody,
I've removed all trunks on all HP switches. There is no extra configuration on Uplink ports. Although both Cisco routers can see each other through LAN, HSRP still refuses to work properly. Maybe it is really necessary to configure UPLINK ports, and I'll try to investigate it with the help of manual "HP Networking and Cisco CLI Reference Guide". But if someone had faced with such problem before and has solution, I'll be much appreciated.
Antonio Milanese
Trusted Contributor

Hello Amagalan,

i think that a good thing is to post "show run" "show ver" "show log" of both cisco routers and hp switches (obviously if u can and, of course, purged of sensitive data=) since besides your diagram there's not any other clue of what's is going on.

Regards,
Antonio

Amagalan
Occasional Advisor

Hello everybody,
I've attached current configuration of Cisco routers and HP Procurve switches.
I understood that Cisco's definition "switchport trunk encapsulation dot1q" and "switchport mode trunk" at HP means "tagged". I've made this configuration on Uplink ports between switches and it works fine. But when I try to tag an Uplink port to Cisco router, connection breaks.
Amagalan
Occasional Advisor

Hi everybody,
Solved this issue at last. The problem was not related with HP Procurve switches, it was an access-list on router LAN interfaces, just allowed udp traffic on port 1985.
Thanks to all of you for assistance.
Amagalan
Occasional Advisor

Solved.