108795 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Help needed with Multiple Subnet's

SOLVED
Go to solution
CDN_Error_Repair
Occasional Contributor

Help needed with Multiple Subnet's

I will be the first to say I am not an networking expert. So I am here asking the experts. First some background on my problem.

3 x T1 therefore 3 subnets
10.1.30.1 as examples
5308xl switch w/3 VLAN's (one for each subnet)

Right now if I am on subnet 1 and want to copy something on a server on subnet 2 all the trafic goes out through our WAN and back in again. This is very very slow. IS there a way with the 5803 or Windows to allow all internal routes with those 3 subnets to not go thru the WAN but stay within the lan?

I hope this makes sense?
If you need more info just email. Thanks!
7 REPLIES 7
Mohieddin Kharnoub
Honored Contributor

Hi

First of all, its one simple command you enter it in the CLI ,

5308(Config)# ip routing

This will enable routing between vlans, which AS YOU MENTIONED, connected vlans and configured on the switch.

Second: give a default route for other unknown traffic like the Internet traffic:

(Config)# ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 a.b.c.d

Where a.b.c.d, is the IP address for the router you use to go to the internet.

These 2 commands will be enough for your 5308 to work.

If you need more help, then try to attach the configuration of your 5308, with a drawing of this part of the network to understand it better after removing your private info. from the configuration.

Here is an example of your network:
http://www.hp.com/rnd/support/config_examples/5300xl_portbase.pdf

Don't forget to assign points.

Good Luck !!!
Science for Everyone
CDN_Error_Repair
Occasional Contributor

I dont understand the IP route command. Obviously its done on the switch.

Do I do it for each gateway I have. We have a router for each subnet

Mohieddin Kharnoub
Honored Contributor
Solution

Yes its done on the switch, either by Telnet the Vlan1 ip address on the switch, or by connecting a console cable to the switch console port and use the hyper terminal to connect to it.

After doing that, enter the config. mode by using the command : config , then enter the command: ip routing

That will enable the routing between the vlans, then you can enter the the default route command : ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 a.b.c.d , and use the ip address of the router that connects to the internet in the a.b.c.d fields

example: ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 192.168.1.1

after that save the configuration with the command: write memory

you can exit from the telnet after that and try to connect between the vlans and check it been routed locally on the 5308 switch.

Good Luck
Science for Everyone
CDN_Error_Repair
Occasional Contributor

I understand portions of your suggestion.

When I use the IP route command what router IP do I use. I have 3 routers one for each subnet.

10.1.10.1 router VLAN 1
10.1.20.1 router VLAN 2
10.1.30.1 router VLAN 3

Thanks for being patient and helpful
Mohieddin Kharnoub
Honored Contributor

Hi
The first command: ip routing, doesn't need any thing.

Once you excute this command, routing between vlans will be enebeld, and thats it.
Now for people on vlan1 or vlan2 or vlan3 if they want to access the internet, then we use:
the second command.

You know better that me which router is conenct you to the Internet, or maybe its a bit complicated, if you have the router1 for vlan1 (as an example) connect you to outside world, or it maybe the router2 for vlan2 or ...

Or maybe you don;t need internet access for vlans, it depends on your requirements and on your network design.

If you need more help, please attach the network map so we can understand more and help more.

Don;t forget to assign points, its our thanks.

Good Luck !!!
Science for Everyone
Error_1
Occasional Advisor

How detailed of drawing do you need. I dont have Viseo or anything yet. Would a Quick MS paint pic do?
Why is abbreviation such a long word?
Error_1
Occasional Advisor

Here is a very basic quick drawing
Why is abbreviation such a long word?