Switches, Hubs, and Modems
1753521 Members
4854 Online
108795 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Help using Mini-GBIC with ProCurve 2626 switch

bcssupport

Help using Mini-GBIC with ProCurve 2626 switch

I donтАЩt have any experience with fiber and I was wondering if anyone could help me with GBIC cards? I took the ProCurve Gigabit-SX LC GBIC that I have here up to our other office and tried to install it in the HP 2626 switch but could not get any communication going (I unplugged the CAT5 and put the GBIC in the same port). Currently, we have a media converter that has a fiber patch cable going to the box where the fiber feed comes in and then has CAT5 that goes to the 2626 switch, if I reconnect fiber to the media converter and plug the CAT5 back into the switch, everything works just fine like it did before so I know the fiber feeding into the office is fine. I installed the GBIC into the switch and the port LED did switch over to M for Mini-GBIC but no matter which way I have the ends of the fiber patch cable going into the box that the fiber feed goes to, the switch doesnтАЩt have a link. Logging into the switches web based interface the icon for the port is a тАЬPort not connectedтАЭ icon. I also tried using another spare fiber patch cable but there was no change.
Do I need to add some configuration to the switch or anything to allow the Mini-GBIC to work or am I missing a step or something?
6 REPLIES 6
cenk sasmaztin
Honored Contributor

not need any config for minigbic module
fristly test change patch cord direction because two minigbic module runing cross connection

if can'running minigbic module please say me

what kind of fiber cable on system SM or MM

how much meter between two switch

please say me

cenk

cenk sasmaztin
Honored Contributor

see attach
cenk

bcssupport

I only have 1 Mini-GBIC and the box was already opened and there was no note with it or anything so the state of the Mini-GBIC is unknown (it was found in a box of fiber equipment). It is Multimode fiber and the distance to the other switch is not very far, just a short 2 minute walk between buildings, I do not know the exact distance. We had someone here that will be installing new fiber at another location and I had them look at the Mini-GBIC and they confirmed it was for Multimode fiber and that our patch cords were the right ones.
I am suspecting the GBIC might just be bad but I have no known good to test with.
Mark Wibaux
Trusted Contributor

What's at the other end?
Pieter 't Hart
Honored Contributor

I second Mark's question "what's on the other end?"
if it's also a fiber-to-copper converter, this may not use the same laser-frequency (color/wave-length) as the GBIC.

You may try if you have any link with a patchcord between the local-converter and the local GBIC?
you may need to connect the copper end of the converter too (laptop with Gbit interface? or another switchport).
Mark Wibaux
Trusted Contributor

The other thing with fibre converters is that if they are quite old then they may only be 100Mbit.
Unlike UTP, fibre connections are not speed matching so you can't connect a 100Mbit fibre unit into a gigabit one.