108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Help with switch placement

SOLVED
Go to solution
stevef1
Occasional Advisor

Help with switch placement

Hi all, I need to put about 80 computers on to our existing network, the network covers a large building and the rooms that the new computers are going to are quite a distance from our servers, management want 2 sets of 30 computers (2 computer labs) and about 20 computers that general staff/admin can use.

The distance exceeds 100m from our server.
I was thinking of placing a HP Procurve switch between the servers and the new computer labs/computers (to extend the range), in the computer labs I would also place HP Procurve switches that connect to the middle switch which in turn connects to the main server switch, sort of like the diagram below.
Does this make sense?

Room1 Room2
| |
| |
HP Switch1 HP Switch2
| |
| |
[***HP Switch***]
|
|
To Server switch HP4208
5 REPLIES 5
Chris Stave
Advisor
Solution

Re: Help with switch placement

This should work for you, as long as your runs are all less than 300 ft. I'm assuming you are connecting things with copper cabling.
Another option is to go to with fiber, which would allow you to remove the switch in the middle.
stevef1
Occasional Advisor

thanks for the answer, i thought it would be ok just needed a new set of eyes.
stevef1
Occasional Advisor

Just a bit concerned now about bandwidth, should I run multiple cables from the switch that connects to the servers and create a trunk using multiple ports on the switches, do I have many options?

Thanks

steve
daniel wright_1
Advisor

the best option IMHO would to drop fibre into the two rooms and do away with the middle switch.

if this isnt possible trunk up as few ports to the middle switch and try run another link between the two IDFs and use spanning tree in case the link to one of the rooms gets cut
stevef1
Occasional Advisor

Thanks for that