7988 Online
108805 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Hosts dropped from multicast groups

SOLVED
Go to solution
frogtumor

Hosts dropped from multicast groups

We have an HP Procurve 2810 series switch acting as the IGMP Querier for an Audio Over IP-based (AOIP) multicast network.
THere are several hosts on this network sending and receiving UDP multicast streams, all of which are managed by the switch to keep flooding down.
The problem is that hosts do not transmit IGMP Join messages for all of the groups they are subscribed to when the switch sends a query.
This causes the switch to drop some hosts from multicast groups after two queries. Then the host AOIP software times out, re-connects (sending Join messages for all groups) and the process begins again.

I've learned that IGMP hosts will not send a Join message in response to a query if the host sees another Join for the same multicast group. This seems to follow the IGMP traffic I've been observing, and also looks like the reason the switch drops hosts from groups after two queries.

Has anyone had experience with this on the HP Procurve switches?
I believe I saw some documentation for a Cisco switch that deals with this problem by filtering certain IGMP messages between hosts so as to force them to transmit Join messages for ALL of the multicast groups they are subscribed to.

4 REPLIES 4
Matt Hobbs
Honored Contributor
Solution

I believe this has been fixed in N.11.08. You will need to contact HP support to get this.
frogtumor

According to the support person, version N.11.08 doesn't exist yet, at least not publicly. They instead forwarded me to the N.11.06 release.

Did you maybe mean that one instead? Because I've already tried upgrading to it.

If not, what's going on with the 11.08 release?

Richard Brodie_1
Honored Contributor

" According to the support person, version N.11.08 doesn't exist yet, at least not publicly."

Well, no. Matt would be wasting your time to suggest you logged a support call just to obtain a public version. I doubt that was his intention.
frogtumor

This problem has been solved.

The N.11.08 version was apparently just released today, according to support.

Thank you, Matt.
Sorry if I was being too demanding.