1748052 Members
4633 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: How To Create Vlan

Waqar Ahmed_1
Occasional Contributor

How To Create Vlan

Hi all help me out i am new user of Hp procurve switchs and we have 4 Hp Procurve 2524 Switchs and one 5348xl switch i need to create 5 Vlans and one vlan abel to cmmunictae all other vlans, can any one help me out
6 REPLIES 6
Victor_68
Advisor

Hi !

This site have help files on how to configure Vlan's with top tools or web interface.

http://www.hp.com/rnd/device_help/

then just choose your product and follow the instructions.

good luck
Victor
Waqar Ahmed_1
Occasional Contributor

Thank you Victor, but problem is that i don't know wht is how can i create vlan, yes you are right this site help how to add vlan , but i am very thank full to you is you tell me step by step i know i ask too much. my network id is 192.168.0.0 and subnet 255.255.255.0 i create 3 vlan 100 and valn 200 and vlan 300 what i want they didn't access each other but access server which is on the vlan 300. i am very thank full to you if you can help me. my email is kulit_pogy@hotmail.com right now my network 2 procurve 2524 and one 5304 with 4 giga bit module installed and 4 department and one department access all department as well as server which belong to vlan300 , your help is highly appreciated.
Jorge Pons
Trusted Contributor

Hi

The way to do VLAN is very simple. First all of the ports of a switch are in the same VLAN, it is called DEFAULT_VLAN.
First, you must enable VLAN, then create the other ones, and asign the ports to those VLAN. This step probably requires reboot the switch.
Another thing you must do is stacking all the switches, one of them will be commander and the other ones member (COnfiguration, Stacking)
For example, you have two VLAN in two switches called VLAN100 and VLAN200.
If there is tagged, the information of VLAN will be useful, and all the ports in the same VLAN (for example VLAN100) will see in all the switches.

Any Port must be only in one VLAN.

Regards
Manuel Wolfshant
Trusted Contributor

First of all you must keep in mind one thing: VLANs do NOT communicate to each other, unless you have a _router_ which passes the packets from one VLAN to another one. So, by definition the computers connected to ports belonging to different VLANs, will NOT see each other as long as there is no routing device involved.
Second, you must remember the fact that you can assign a port to belong to one _or_more_ VLANS. OR to all VLANS...
So, what you need to do is roughly the following
- create a diagram of the required communication paths (between the workgroups, and who can talk to whom)
- assign VLANs based on the above diagram
- if you want to enable access between VLANs (which you do), make sure that a) either all machines which must be accessed from more VLANs are connected to ports which belong to all the relevant VLANs or b) you have a router which will pass the data among VLANS

And two final notes: 1) do not forget to set the ports through which the switches are interconnected in 802.1q mode; b) I am using for more then 3 years a linux box as router among my VLANS and it always worked flawlessly. Including in 802.1q mode
Waqar Ahmed_1
Occasional Contributor

HI Thank you all for helping me out, Thanks i really appreciated.
OLARU Dan
Trusted Contributor

Do you still need help with this?