1751961 Members
4571 Online
108783 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

How can I route only SMTP traffic?

Doug Matulewic
Advisor

How can I route only SMTP traffic?

I have a 2824 switch, and we have our exchange email server connected to it. We have 2 internet connections, and currently I have 0.0.0.0 set to go through internet connection A.
However, for all of our email, I want it to go through Internet connection B.

Doing a static ip route statement doesn't work, as the email just sit in the outbox. (I'm guessing the static route bypasses essential domain traffic?)

Thank you for your time!
5 REPLIES 5
cenk sasmaztin
Honored Contributor

Re: How can I route only SMTP traffic?

unable policy base routing procurve switch
you needed load balance router
cenk

Doug Matulewic
Advisor

Thank you for your reply..
So if the 2824 switch will only route traffic one way... then can I configure the hop just past the switch to then reroute that traffic back to internet connection B?
Or another way of asking... If everything defaults to internet connection A, then is it possible to add a statement on the router/firewall located at internet connection A to 'ip route specific local IP address to Internet connection B'?
DaGuru
Trusted Contributor

Hi Doug,

I don't think there is quite enough information here for anyone to give you an informed answer.

Two Internet connections? Are these for redundancy, load balancing, or both? Are they from the same ISP and/or what kind of IP networks are you working with? In some cases, it may be possible to control which interface your email uses... for example, if each interface is on its own subnet, then you could simply seperate traffic by subnet. However, from your description, I assume this is not the case; in which case, VLSM might be your next option, but it depends on how your addresses are allocated to you and is your ISP(s) willing to support VLSM. What type of router are you using, what are its capabilities, and is it handling both Internet connections? Lasly, are you using NAT or are you firewalling Internet addresses inside your network?
---------------------------------------------
I work for HP, but my posts and replies are my own.
Doug Matulewic
Advisor

Hi Dennis.. thanks for your reply. Greatly appreciated!

I have 1 DSL internet connection and 1 T1 internet connection. Everything currently goes through the T1 connection. I plan on moving our users' web access to the DSL connection (as it's 6Mbps vs. 1.5). However I want to keep my email on the T1 as it still has a more reliable connection and faster upload.

The email server, and both internet connection go to the same 2824 switch, which is in its own subnet.

I am using NAT, so I do not have any public addresses in my network.

I was hoping I could just change my default 0.0.0.0 route on my switch to point to the DSL connection, but then add some 'trickery' to get our mail server to still go out through the T1 connection.

Let me know if you need more detail.
DaGuru
Trusted Contributor

Can you attach a network map?

How are your routers addressed on your internal network now and how many hosts (email, etc.) do you want using the T1 over the DSL?

My thought is that you could make the DSL line your default route and assign it through DHCP then specify the alternate router (t1) staticaly for the host(s) you want using it. However, complexity of this depends on your address infrastructure.

---------------------------------------------
I work for HP, but my posts and replies are my own.