5087 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

How to Use One Fiber Switch to Emulate Two

fh-djb
Advisor

How to Use One Fiber Switch to Emulate Two

Greetings,
Does anyone have some pointers on how to emulate two fiber switches using only one switch? I am building a fabric for our test lab and the money for two 4/8 B-series switches did not meet the budget so I went with 1 4/16 B-series switch with the hope that I could somehow emulate having two switches for testing purposes.

I'm guessing this could somehow be accomplished with some creative zoning (e.g. broadcast zones and hardware enforced zones), but I'm not exactly sure how to configure. If anyone has some good ideas all I would need is a high level outline of the procedure.

Thanks,
DB
2 REPLIES 2
Tore H.Valberg
Advisor

Re: How to Use One Fiber Switch to Emulate Two

Hi

I am not sure what switch you use, but simply separating the ports with vlans should be ok.
Mali Medo
Occasional Advisor

Re: How to Use One Fiber Switch to Emulate Two

Hi,
I suppose that you want to enable zones on your FC switch. You can zone the switch with port zoning or WWN zoning. I prefere WWN zoning because you do not have to think in which port you should connect FC device (storage or host). Just connect your devices to the FC switch and there you will se WWN's of the devices connected and then create zones adn add WWN's to apropriate zone.