New Discussion юеВ

Re: How to add a vlan to a hp switch

SOLVED
Go to solution
Dan_394
Advisor

How to add a vlan to a hp switch

Hi

I have three hp switches that only have the default vlan that came with them when we bought the switch. Right now I want to add another vlan, no routing or anything complicated, to the switches. they are connected to each other via trunked links. Can someone please show me how to do it and then I want to change some ports to be in that vlan.

I have hp 2524

Thanks
Dan
6 REPLIES 6
serpel
Trusted Contributor

hi,

conf
vlan 100
untagged 1
ip address 192.168.0.1/24
wr mem
exit

hth
alex
Dan_394
Advisor

Thanks for the information. What does the term "untagged 1" mean and what is it's impact?

Thanks
Dan
Dan_394
Advisor

Hi,

Also, I have a cisco switch that is doing the routing so do I need to put an ip address on this vlan or can I leave it out? If I leave it out does it change the config provided in any way?

Thanks
Dan
groque
Frequent Advisor
Solution

Hi Dan,

VLANing on the HP ProCurves are ridiculouslly easy here let me explain the terms to you.

For example I am going to create 2 VLAN(s)

VLAN 10 - For Sales users
VLAN 20 - For Marketing users
VLAN 100 - Connection to a Cisco/Juniper gateway

VLAN 10 uses ports 1 - 4
VLAN 20 uses ports 5 - 8
VLAN 100 uses port 24 (connection to the GW)

I am going to be using port 23 as the Cisco term "trunk" to another switch or AP

Note: The term trunk is completely different between Cisco and HP. A trunk link defined by cisco is a link that contains multiple tagged VLAN(s) and its used as a link to connect to a switich, router or AP. HP definition of a trunk is simular to an Cisco EtherChannel Link so dont get them confussed

This is the configuration for the VLAN(s)

VLAN 10
name "Sales"
ip helpder-address (set this to the DHCP server)
ip address (set this as a GW, I am using a L3 switch FYI)

untagged 1 - 4 (this meens that ports 1 - 4 are statically assigned to VLAN 10)

tagged 23 (this means that all taggged information is going to be sent via port 23, which connects the switch to an AP or another switch. This is simular to the switchmode port trunk used on Catalyst switches)

VLAN 20 would consist of the exact same config but as you can see the name, IP address and the ports untagged would be different. Here is a quick example

untagged 5 - 8
tagged 23

This is VLAN 100 config

VLAN 100
name "connection to GW"
untagged 24 (means this port belings to VLAN 100)
ip address (set the IP address for the connection)

then enable ip routing (since its L3).

This is VLAN 1's config

VLAN 1
name "default"
untagged 9 - 23
no untagged 1 - 4 (VLAN 10), 5 - 8 (VLAN 20), 24 (VLAN 100)

This config works like a charm if you need additional documents let me know I can paste my config here and it explains each step and what it does etc.

I hope this helps

Cheers
serpel
Trusted Contributor

hi,
untagged 1 puts the port 1 into the new vlan.
and you don't need the ip. it is just for the mangement of the switch.
you might want to tag the uplink port between your three switches. just apply for example
vlan 1
tagged 1
exit
wr mem
with port 1 being the uplink port and do this with every vlan all your three switche do have configured.
hth
alex
Dan_394
Advisor

Hi groque,

Absolutely fantastic explanation. I really appreciate the effort. If you don't mind can I take you up on your offer to paste your config and go through an explanation of it. At the very least it will support my undertanding of the way things work.

Thanks
Dan