108794 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

How to best 3 * 2524 stack ?

fgilain
Occasional Advisor

How to best 3 * 2524 stack ?

Hi all,

I have 3 HP Procurve 2524 Switchs.
Each have 1 gygabnite module into it to stack one to another.

Now, some one told me about the Stack configuration "commander" on 1 of my 3 switch in order to make my network more powerfull.

is it true, what's the goal of it ? what will it give me ? what are the riskss ?

thanks

Florent
3 REPLIES 3
Jonathan Axford
Trusted Contributor

Re: How to best 3 * 2524 stack ?

Basically, The 'Commander' Switch is the controlling device for the stack. Other switches in the stack become 'Members'and can be configured through the commander.

All of the switches have to be in the same broadcast domain.

All of the switches are accessible through one IP Address (The commanders IP), and by using the same Username/Password.

By default, stacking uses the primary VLAN (VLAN 1) if you have multiple VLAN's configured, you will need to specify a primary vlan and connect the switches to each other in that VLAN.

I am not sure about making your network more powerful, but it can certainly simplify administration etc. There are very little risks involved as far as i am concerned, It's just a matter of seeing whether this configuration suits your network.

Hope this helps a little, Let me know if there is anything else you need.
Where there is a will there is a way...
fgilain
Occasional Advisor

well; my friend told me that stacking with a commander would allow me to have only 1 routing table for all my stacked switch instead of 1 routing table for each switch, so it would make my network a little faster to find each others maybe ?

Nb : i have only 1 VLAN (default)

so, i'll try it tonight ;-))
Jonathan Axford
Trusted Contributor

Cool, I am not sure about the routing table, I know that the 2524 is a Layer 2 device, so forwarding decisions will be based on Destination MAC address, I unsure as to whether the switches in a stack will then share a LAT or not...
Where there is a will there is a way...