Switches, Hubs, and Modems
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to disable only some ports on HP Enterprise Switch?

Occasional Visitor

How to disable only some ports on HP Enterprise Switch?

Hello community!

I have a HPE OfficeConnect Switch 1820 24G PoE+ (185W) J9983A. This Switch got 12 PoE ports but i need only about 6 PoE ports. My problem is if I activate PoE it will activate port 1-12 for PoE so my non Poe devices will be damaged. Is there any way i could just activate port 1-6 for PoE and use 7-24 for normal LAN?

Thanks for your help!

2 REPLIES 2
HPE Pro

Re: How to disable only some ports on HP Enterprise Switch?

Hello,

A PoE capable device should be able to detect if the attached end device is PoE capable (PD =powered device) or not.  PoE power will be provided only if the device is detected and confirmed as PoE capable. This functionality is embeded in the standard so every PoE switch supports it. You can imagine that otherwise PoE would damage a lot of end devices on a regular basis.

But of course there is an option to disable PoE on a  per port basis. Have a look at page 77 (8-2)

https://support.hpe.com/hpesc/public/docDisplay?docId=c04622710

On the GUI menu Power Over Ethernet > Port Configuration you can edit the PoE settings. You just need to change the Admin State of the ports on which PoE should be disabled. Set the checkbox in front of the port and click on Edit.

I am an HPE employee

Accept or Kudo

HPE Pro

Re: How to disable only some ports on HP Enterprise Switch?

Hello @Schlumpy 

If your question was answered, please mark it as resolved. If not, please provide feedback why the answer didnt work for you and what else do you need to know! Many thanks in advance!

I am an HPE employee

Accept or Kudo