cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to distinquish between a single-ended and F/W scsi cables

Jihad Grihm
Occasional Visitor

How to distinquish between a single-ended and F/W scsi cables

How can you tell the difference between a single-ended scsi wide cable and a F/W scsi cable? They appear to have the same amount of pins.
Intimate Engagement
3 REPLIES
Ernest Ford
Trusted Contributor

Re: How to distinquish between a single-ended and F/W scsi cables

They are identical
Jihad Grihm
Occasional Visitor

Then maybe the scsi ports are different because I have a surestore dlt 718 autoloader that requires a single-ended f/w scsi cable and I have several f/w cables and have tried connecting it to a single-ended f/w scsi port on a Visualize B180L and it willnot let the server bootup. I've switched cables and used different ports on the autoloader and even terminator was switched and still it will not let it boot. Then I thought that I had the wrong cable. Any suggestions?
Intimate Engagement
Ernest Ford
Trusted Contributor

It is possible to have wide and fast-wide devices in the same chain, and on the same cable, they are backward compatible

1) Check termination

Only the devices at the ends of the cable should be terminated. That means if you are using both internal and external devices, the device at the end of the internal cable, and the device at the end of the external cable - no termination on the host adapter. Also bear in mind that some Compaq systems do not allow simultaneous internal and external because there is no way to disable the termination on the HA.

2) Check SCSI ID - every device must have a unique ID, including the HA - usually ID #7 - some autoloaders require more than one ID - one (each) for the drive(s) and one more for the changer mechanism.

Finally - what does this have to do with "Networking - switches, hubs, modems" posting in the appropriate forum could get you more responses.