New Discussion юеВ

How to get system oid for device to manage with PCM+

SOLVED
Go to solution
Drew_38
Frequent Advisor

How to get system oid for device to manage with PCM+

Hi all;

I'm making some customised .oid files to add to HP PCM+ so various non-HP devices will appear where I want them to do so under 'Interconnect Devices'. I've managed to get the SYSOID (system OID) for all non-HP devices on my network, apart from one, an Allot Netenforcer 402. I wonder does anyone know a utilitiy I can use to query a SNMP manageable device to get the system OID? I can use snmpget and snmpwalk to walk the info on the devices, however it's the system OID which identifies the device on the network which I can't seem to get.

Thanks in advance for any help!

Drew
6 REPLIES 6
Ralph Bean_2
Trusted Contributor

Re: How to get system oid for device to manage with PCM+

Hello Drew -

While I do not know of a tool for extracting sysOIDs from devices, the ProCurve sysOIDs are listed in file hpicfOid.mib.

To get this file, go to procurve.com, click 'software updates', click 'MIBs', download the latest MIB .tar file (currently "Sep 2007"), and extract the individual MIB files from the .tar file. One of these files is hpicfOid.mib.

Regards,
Ralph
Drew_38
Frequent Advisor

Ralph I do appreciate your answer but I'm afraid it's the oids which PCM does not know about which I'm after. So yeah hopefully someone will know how to get this for any SNMP device. PCM obviously sends a query out and gets a response of some sort so there must be a standard way of doing this.
Richard Brodie_1
Honored Contributor
Solution

snmpget sysObjectID.0
Evert Goor
Trusted Contributor

Drew_38
Frequent Advisor

Evert I've looked at the info from Allot and it didn't seem to have the actual sys oid in it. Either that or the device I've got did not respond according to their documentation. Hence my request for generic command to get the sys oid.

As you'll have seen Richard's come up trumps with precisely the command I need; thanks so much Richard you've solved the problem.

Thanks to all for reading.
Drew_38
Frequent Advisor

Closing thread therefore.