1753488 Members
4619 Online
108794 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: How to separate RSTP on one HP

sharifbabu

How to separate RSTP on one HP

Hi,
Could anyone can help me, how to separate RSTP on one HO ProCurve switch ? I have two 5406zl pro curve switches. and each switches has 4 vlans running RSTP and both switch are interconnected.
So, question is : How I separate RSTP with VLAN or Each Vlan will run different RSTP ?
Pls help me .
Thanks in advance.

Best Regards
Sharif
8 REPLIES 8
Jeff Carrell
Honored Contributor

RSTP does not support that option.

Those 5406's are actually ready to run MSTP, which will provide for 16 separate "spanning tree instances".

So 4 vlans will provide you 4 separate spanning tree's.

If you connect the vlans together between the switches, the vlans must be in the same spanning tree.

http://cdn.procurve.com/training/Manuals/3500-5400-6200-6600-8200-ATG-Mar10-4-MSTP.pdf

hth...Jeff
sharifbabu

Hi Jeff,

Thanks for your reply.
Could you pls see below my switch configuration :
Check vlan 196 configuration in attached.
Thanks in advance
/Sharif

Jeff Carrell
Honored Contributor

With what I can see in your config, there are pieces missing for complete operation of MSTP.

The MSTP configs on each switch must have the 'config-name', 'revision #", and 'instance' definitions identical, or each switch will still be in its own MSTP region, and then each switch will look like the root as you see.

This is what you basically need, although you may wish to change some of the parameters as required...this will make switch#1 the root for the IST/CST and instance 3.

switch#1:

ProCurve1(config)# spanning-tree config-name ProCurve

ProCurve1(config)# spanning-tree config-revision 1

ProCurve1(config)# spanning-tree instance 3 vlan 196

ProCurve1(config)# spanning-tree priority 1

ProCurve1(config)# spanning-tree instance 3 priority 1

switch#2:
ProCurve2(config)# spanning-tree config-name ProCurve

ProCurve2(config)# spanning-tree config-revision 1

ProCurve2(config)# spanning-tree instance 3 vlan 196

ProCurve2(config)# spanning-tree priority 2

ProCurve2(config)# spanning-tree instance 3 priority 2

hth...Jeff
sharifbabu

Hi,
Thanks for help.
That means each vlan will have config name and revision. In one switch I have 4 vlans that means I need 4 config name and revision.
Am I right ?
Thanks again.
/Sharif
Jeff Carrell
Honored Contributor

Sharif said:
That means each vlan will have config name and revision. In one switch I have 4 vlans that means I need 4 config name and revision.
Am I right ?

/Sharif

Sorry, not correct.

Each switch will have 1 common/identical config name, revision and instance definition.

You define which instance (IST, instances 1-x) on each switch for bridge priority settings. My example had switch 1 as "root" for IST and instance 1.

You could have each vlan (example vlans: 194, 195,196,197) in their own instance - and same instance on both switches.

hth...Jeff
sharifbabu

Hi,
Thanks.
I will try to run this way and get back to you soon.
Thank you very much.
/Sharif
sharifbabu

Hi Jeff,
I configured the switches, now problem is another port is shows the root port and this port belongs to another vlan, not that vlan I used "instance 3".
And for switch 1, it shows no port is the root.
Pls check the attached.
Thanks in advance.
/sharif
Jeff Carrell
Honored Contributor

Sharif said "...now problem is another port is shows the root port and this port belongs to another vlan, not that vlan I used "instance 3".
And for switch 1, it shows no port is the root. "

Ah yes, that is the way it should be.

The Root Port definition means "what port I (switch) use to get to the Root"...the other end of that is the Designated Port and that means "how other device(s) (like switch) get to me as the Root".

Switch 1 indicates it is the Root, and all is well.

Looks like you have it all going :-)

hth...Jeff